Noisy valves after adjustment

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

davidsuzuki

Re: Noisy valves after adjustment

Post by davidsuzuki »

Cheers Suzook.
Unfortunately the car is in Geelong, and I'm in Melbourne at the moment so I can't go and check it now.
I'm sure that when the distributor rotor is pointing at number 1, the factory made notch in the crank pulley will be pointing at roughly 0600, not aligned with '0' as in your picture. This is the part I don''t understand.

Are you saying that I should make a second temporary chalk mark on the crank pulley when the distributor rotor is pointing at number 1, and call this position TDC.
Then from this position set valves 1,2,5 & 7. Then rotate the crank again until the distributor is pointing at number 4, and set valves 3,4,6 & 8?
suzook82

Post by suzook82 »

Nah, if it's pointing at 0600 your not on the firing stroke - exhaust from memory?

Rotate another cycle through until the rotor and timing marks align which they will and you'll get TDC.
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Ahah!
I just found a youtube video that illustrates my problem exactly. I think I worked out why the timing was out. The SJ413 manual I'm working from is a 1991 issue and covers only the G13A, not the G13BA engine.
So while the G13A will have the number 1 piston at TDC with the timing marks at 1200, the G13BA will have the number 4 cylinder at TDC. So therefore I'm thinking that I should be settings valves 3,4,6 & 8 with both timing marks at 1200, rotating the crank 360, and then settings valves 1,2,5 & 7. I will try it this weekend. Surely this is the problem. Just hoping I haven't mangled my valve train setting the clearances around the wrong way.
suzook82

Post by suzook82 »

Be sure to post up your results!
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

So, got around to working on the car today.
Turned the crank over so that both cam, and crank timing marks were pointing at 1200.
Sure enough in this state, the distributor rotor was pointing at number 4.
I then set valves 3,4,6 & 8.
Then I turned the crank over 360 degrees and the distributor rotor was pointing at number 1.
In this state I set valves 1,2,5 & 7.
Put the cover back and fired it up and...
:D
Engine was purring nicely. Well as smoothly as I've heard it in a long time. :lol:

So I ran the engine until hot and checked the gaps and they were right.
I found that the tighter end of factory spec worked fine. With these settings I had no loud tapping noises at all.
For interests sake I set the clearances with the engine cold as 0.13mm for intake, and 0.16mm for exhaust.
When I got the engine hot I had to trim the clearances a tiny bit to get them to 0.23mm intake and 0.26mm exhaust.
Thanks to everyone for their advice. Really happy I finished that job in the end.