adjusting steering stops.

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

davidsuzuki

adjusting steering stops.

Post by davidsuzuki »

Hi,
I've just noticed my tyres are rubbing on full lock and I'm searching for the steering stop adjustment bolts that I've heard talked about on the forums. Where are they (in a 1995 leaf sprung sierra) ? I can't find any reference to them in the SJ413 workshop manual.
jono165
Financial Member

Re: adjusting steering stops.

Post by jono165 »

The steering stops on a sierra are the bolts that retail the swivel hub seals. At full lock these bolts touch then end of the axles tube just before the swivel housing.

These bolts also have a small shoulder at the end of the thread to stop you over tightening against the seals, you can slide a bit of fuel line or similar over a longer bolt with a few washers or another nut as shims to keep this setup.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

The bolts that act as stops are behind the axle housing. (As in there's no stop in front of the axle, only behind.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
davidsuzuki

Post by davidsuzuki »

Thanks !
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

I had the same problem trying figure out where the non existent bump stops were. I tried a 6 or 7mm spacer but the longer bolt just bent and the tyres still touched, ended up with some wheel spacers from KPD4x4 (for offroad use only :D ).