29-30 March -2014 - Wonnangatta Valley - Easy / Medium

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gv2010
Financial Member

Re: 1-2 Feb-2014 - Wonnangatta Valley - Easy / Medium

Post by gv2010 »

agree with Chris.

Watched some YouTube Videos about the tracks, it seems ok for a stock GV. However, it's hard to tell from the videos how steep the tracks are.
Furry

Post by Furry »

Some of those hills are fairly rocky and steep, altough road tires might just pass. I had more trouble with clearance and I ve got a 2 inch lift on my gv2012. Those bash plates really saved my arse, the stock Prado which came along wasn't as lucky and ruptured the fuel lines on the rocks.
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Thanks for your comments on the suitability of highway tyres for the high country. David has decided to skip this trip and join the next one when he has ATs fitted. (I am thinking about Blue Rag mountain via Talbotville next). David will come along to the next meeting to get some tips from all you Vit drivers. Good point about the bash plates on a Vit Vlad. BTW I think David fits the profile for the touring group!
2009 Manual Jimny
Furry

Post by Furry »

Gentlemen, the weather doesn't look too good for next weekend; high 30's for both Saturday and Sunday. We may need to prospone again :(
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Vlad

I was going to wait a few days and talk to the Dargo rangers before making a call on next weekend. The fire rating in the area at the moment is low to high so nothing extreme and what we would expect for this time of the year. There is a fire still going around Mt Wellington but I don't think that will bother us. Wind speeds forecast are relatively low.

Right now it is a bit too early to make a call. Remember also that up that way it will not be as hot as in Melbourne.

Like last time I will consult with the local rangers and the CFA and take their advice. Lets say we make the call no later than Wednesday evening.

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

We're out Mike.

I know it will be cooler than Melbourne in the forest, but it's still looking uncomfortably warm, even ignoring the fire risk.

Maybe a trip to do later in autumn.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

I'm flexible, OK with this weekend, just as OK if the trip needs to be moved to a later date.
gv2010
Financial Member

Post by gv2010 »

I'm flexible too. All weekends are OK.
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

The forecast for next weekend has just been adjusted upwards so I will re-evaluate tomorrow based on the forecast and fire risk. It may have to move again possibly into March when it might be cooler. Final decision tomorrow.
2009 Manual Jimny
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

No worries Mike. We had a mate coming with us, we were going to book accommodation in Sale on Friday night, and we're spending the week down the hill - so we had to make a call early if we were going to pack today or not. We decided against it.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon