jonfromhamilton

Re: Portland Sand Dunes- October?

Post by jonfromhamilton »

"it will never happen to me"
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

I got a reply in my email regarding the use of a soft top sierra on the dunes and the answer I got was:

"Yes it does require a roof plate and cage to be used on the Portland dune buggy area"

Which is fair enough, obviously they have to be covered by insurance so its as much about protecting them as it is protecting the drivers/occupants. This didn't quite answer my original question for more information ie roof plate thickness, cage requirements etc, so I've asked for these details to be confirmed as it would suck pretty bad to go all the way there to find it needs to be a cams spec cage or doesn't meet their club requirements.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sorry Jon - I couldnt find the vehicle specs. No doubt they will be out of date by now.

There is always beach driving at Robe - it's 2 hours further away though.
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

I'll only go on this trip if I can get away with my fibreglass top and a roll bar
I will get in touch with the portland dune buggy club to find out, I'll send them a pic I guess
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

Any news on what's required as far as roof 'plates' are concerned?

If Portland is out, there is the option of heading over the border into SA but this would be at least a 3 day trip probably 4, whereas Portland could be done in a weekend.

Some of the auszooker guys go to Beachport every SA Labour Day long weekend. This year that will be the 5th, 6th and 7th of October. Christover went last and I'm sure he could put in a good word for us and we could join the auszooker run.
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

I haven't heard back from my second email yet. I'll follow it up.

I'm hoping they won't require anything to serious. If they do crossing the border sounds like a good alternative
gv2010
Financial Member

Post by gv2010 »

Please put me in Steve.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Bump!

Hurry up and get this going Jono!
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

I've followed for the details of rollover protection following the last club meeting. I'll keep on it and let you know when I hear back, I want something in writing from them stating exactly what complies with their club standards.

If they have very strict requirements then Beachport is a good alternative for those with soft tops.
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

Just heard back from the buggy club. I have the full requirements for all vehicles on my email. If anyone would like it PM me you're email address and I can forward it on.

7. FOUR WHEEL DRIVES

7.1​Open Type. (Soft Top) Any open 4WD or soft-top 4WD with soft-top up or down must have occupant protection type 5.
a) An authorised officer of the PDBC must assess vehicles with factory fitted occupant protection and approval will be given or denied. Lap sash seatbelts are the minimum requirement for all occupants. The protection cage must protect all occupants.
b) Other Open / soft-top vehicles must have a full protection cage (Type 5) as outlined in these regulations. The protection cage must protect all occupants. Full Racing Harness must be fitted for all occupants.
c) Roof Plates All vehicles must be fitted with a roof plate. The minimum materials are 2.5-mm thick Aluminium or 1.6 mm thick steel plate. Roof plates must of a suitable size to afford the occupants head and shoulder protection. Protection hoops must not be drilled to fix the roof plate. The roof plate must be fixed to the protection cage at a maximum of 300mm spacings