Centre handbrake on Sierra

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

bunnyblaster

Centre handbrake on Sierra

Post by bunnyblaster »

I have installed a new handbrake cable as I thought this may be the cause of the inefficient hand brake.

Could someone explain to me how to stop the handbrake cable moving in and out of the backing plate of the centre handbrake drum? I have secured the cable to the chassis with the clips that are there, but it still slides where it enters the backing plate. Is this normal?

Because of the movement, the cable doesn't seem to exert enough pressure to the shoes to grip the drum.

Cheers

Chris
luigi
Financial Member

Re: Centre handbrake on Sierra

Post by luigi »

Hi Bunnyblaster. My Sierra ute has a center handbrake.That is the drum bolted to the back of the transfercase. It works pretty good. I am in ringwood, if you want to have a look at mine to compare it to yours. Sounds like something is missing or broken to me.
Regards. Wayne.
bunnyblaster

Post by bunnyblaster »

That would be great Wayne. I have PM my mobile number so we can organise a meeting.

bunnyblaster

Post by bunnyblaster »

Unfortunately Wayne's sierra was a drover and set up differently to mine. The cable on his enters from the passenger side and mine from the drivers side. I went to Suzi spares (without the car) and they didn't know what the problem is.

Does anyone know a good Suzi mechanic in the Lilydale / Ringwood area?

Thanks

Chris
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Chris. I have found ABS in Ringwood to be good allrounders. They did some work on the brakes on my sierra( about 5 years ago). But they are still the same people. I have taken other cars there for work and they still remembered my sierra.
Regards. Wayne.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Try reversing the mechanism, so it uses up the spare length of cable? Worth a look at.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH