High Output Alternator

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

OscarX90

High Output Alternator

Post by OscarX90 »

Hi all,

Oscar definately has electricity issues. A couple of nights ago I was driving, the battery dash light came on and not too long after the car lost all power. I have a receipt from the previous owner that worked on the alternator in Feb of this year (cost almost $300!), but I beleive it is an original aternator (perhaps around 50 amps?) The car has a dual battery system with a DC to DC charger looking after the aux battery, winch, driving lights (2 front, 2 rear), compressor, after market sound system, among other things. I am thinking too much for the original alternator, any thoughts?

If so, does anyone know what power alternator I would need, where I could get it from and what I would be expecting to pay? The car is a Suzuki X-90. I am taking it to an auto electrician as soon as they have time to look at it, but I want you guys opinions before he talks to me, in case he attempts to pull a shifty.

Thanks,

Travis.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: High Output Alternator

Post by gwagensteve »

Check out the EF-EL falcon upgrade. Very cheap - 100-110A output and very close to a bolt in.
Lots of tech on this - there's a thread on Auszookers in the "good tech" section from memory.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
OscarX90

Post by OscarX90 »

Thanks Steve, will keep it in mind. Took it to an autoelectrician today, was a problem with the regulator. It was fixed fairly cheaply. He said he didn't think it needed anything more than the 50amp alternator, with the current equipment installed. Is he wrong?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

In short, yes. My falcon alternator can deliver 45 amps at fast idle. (which is equal to what I'm drawing with all my lights on and the thermo fans running.) a 50 amp alternator can't approach that - most will only deliver about 70% of their rated maximum once hot, even at 3000rpm.

wit your stock headlights and two 100W driving lights on, you're 24amps already. Add 15A for the EFI system and it's easy to see that all the time you aren't at 3000rpm you are draining the battery.

I'm no fan of dual batteries, but uprated alternators are a wise investment - especially when they are as cheap/easy as the falcon upgrade.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
WestVic-Zook

Post by WestVic-Zook »

yep steve is right 110amp EL falcon alternator is a very easy upgrade to g16b and the sierra carby engines, especially if you do a fair bit of winching, just make sure they are a clean looking alternator and are made by mitsubishi for the 6cyl engine, bosh alternators from the v8 el/ef are to big in size apparently, also falcons have a habit of leaking power steering oil onto them so organize with your wrecker if it doesn't work to be able to return it for another