Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Snow Trip - Mt Skene - updates- please read

Post by gwagensteve »

mika wrote:Will do.
Thanks Chris.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

2. Jonno L
This is Jonno with the blue Sierra? if not does this version of Jonno visit the forum? If not does someone have his number so I can confirm the saturday morning departure point and time?
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

sierrajim wrote:
2. Jonno L
This is Jonno with the blue Sierra? if not does this version of Jonno visit the forum? If not does someone have his number so I can confirm the saturday morning departure point and time?
Yes but its not blue any more.

I will give you a call tonight Jim
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Pics?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I've just dropped this on AZ.

Michael (noel) took about 500 photos witgh Mick's loaned camera. I think he has DSLR love :D
After wheat seemed like an endless run of fair to middling snow trips... this year we had an absolute corker. A couple of very cold, windy days before the weekend saw the whole mountain blanketed in impossibly soft, fluffy snow. The weather was almost perfect with very little breeze, warmish daytime temperatures (T-shirts on Saturday) and clear skies in between occasional snow showers. Friday night the temperature was pretty low, about -4˚, but it was almost perfectly still so it was fine around the fire.

For those that aren't aware, access to this road is by permit organised between the Association of 4WD clubs, the local council and the local Police. A history of inexperienced drivers heading up onto the mountain alone and requiring rescue has led to the closure of this road unless you get a permit. As a result, access is restricted to 4WD association affiliated clubs only. There are heavy fines for vehicles on the mountain without a permit.

You'll note that there are some *ahem* non-suzuki's *ahem* along on the trip. There's quite a lot of road km's between the snow and Melbourne, - most people would cover around 500km on the weekend, so some members bring their more road-capable cars.

Road level peaks at 1558m, but there's quite a long run above 1400m so there's plenty of road to drive. This year was my 21st year of 4WD snow camping - I started with my folks back in the Landcruiser club in the early 90's. Every year conditions are different and the snow can be radically different drive on even from morning to afternoon, which keeps it exciting, even if the venue is the same each year.

Here's some pics.

Airing down at the snowline

There was a fair amount of snow much further down the hill than normal this year.

Road level here is about 1400m.

Pushing fresh snow. I ended up with so much snow in the engine bay I had ignition breakdown - it was totally packed around the distributor. I guess that's what happens when you don't have a radiator up the front. Overheating is quite common - the load on the car is similar to sand but with more altitude so the car has to work hard, and snow often blocks radiators.

The summit - ironically, this is as bad as the weather got all weekend - it cleared shortly after this.

There's scope for a limited amount of track driving on the mountain, but it's pretty treacherous. Tiny obstacles can become big problems when they are under snow.

Breaking fresh snow to get to a sheltered camp spot in the trees

Setting up camp. The fire pit is being dug.

And in use. The smoke was terrible but it was way warm in there.

The weather was so good on Saturday we left it as late as possible until we came off the mountain.

Definitely the best snow trip for the last eight years I reckon.
Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Nice, looks like you guys had an awesome time, wish I was able to make it.
Mock

Post by Mock »

Mad shit!! Cool pics. Wish I could have made it : (
mugginsmoo welding grinding sanding painting my old shit in melb
Greg

Post by Greg »

Great to see all those forms and applications paid off this year!

Hope you guys were nice to other fwd clubs in the pub.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

It was pretty much just us in the pub, and without Dank, Harley or Fel there, it was just.... *crickets* :D

Steve.
Brad.Jones
Financial Member

Post by Brad.Jones »

Awesome trip, the snow was the best I have ever seen here in Australia.
I can now imagine what it must be like in other countries where it's cold enough to get real snow instead of the wet slosh we get usually.

Must teach the missus how to drive the sierra before next year then she can toe me around on the skis as I missed out on that opportunity.
Steve and Michael were having too much fun on the snowboard. Although I did get up to Mt Buller on the Sunday for some proper skiing.
Brad Jones - Analyst - http://www.kdis.com.au - 0407 961 903
2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 1988 Suzuki Sierra