Low speed syncro hub and sleeves

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

bunnyblaster

Low speed syncro hub and sleeves

Post by bunnyblaster »

Good-day

I have just found out that the low speed syncros are chewed out in my gearbox and that the low speed syncro hub and sleeves are very worn.

I know where I can source the syncros after market, but apart from Suzuki (who want to charge $400 for the hub and sleeves), is there anywhere else I can get the low speed syncro hub and sleeves from?

It is a 1986 LWB sierra.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris
bunnyblaster

Re: Low speed syncro hub and sleeves

Post by bunnyblaster »

I have since found out that there is a lot more worn parts inside, apart from bearings, syncros and the syncro hub.

Does anyone know what other alternatives there are for replacing these ageing gearboxes?

How compatible are the Indian "sierras" gearboxes, if I could import one?

Cheers

Chris
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Sierra gearboxes are relatively small and light and they are all getting pretty old. Rebuild costs are high.

Marutis are still 4 speed AFAIK, and I don't think they bolt to a G13 engine. It is possible to put 1.3 parts in them to convert them to 5 speed, but then you're back to using 20 year old sierra gears.

I would seriously consider one of these:

http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=53

This would let you bolt a vitara manual into your sierra, with small mods to the transmission tunnel, jackshaft and gearbox mount.

Vitara manuals are far more plentiful, they're larger and newer.

If your G13 is still in good condition that's what I'd be doing.

If your G13 then starts giving you trouble, you can bolt in a G16 motor without an additional adapter.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
bunnyblaster

Post by bunnyblaster »

Steve

Any particular year of the Vitara? Also is there a thread somewhere on the proceedure to fit one?

I have the reco'd sierra box back in and it is working for now, but I will take up the Vitara option when the sierra box finally dies.

Thanks

Chris
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I've had a quick search and I can't find any comprehensive install thread for a lucky 13.

The manual gearbox from any 1.6 engined vitara will work. 1988-1997ish.

It's unclear if the lucky 13 uses the flywheel, clutch and starter from a 1.6. If this is the case, this is a nice upgrade as the 1.6 flywheel is heavier and the clutch is an improvement over the 1.3

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon