A44D(series ) tips

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

A44D(series ) tips

Post by mightymouse »

For anyone doing an "odd" conversion using an A44D... series auto - heres a torque converter positioning tip... ( read FACT )

It is VITAL that when you are doing your adapter plate clearances, that you allow 4mm for the converter to pull forward from bottoming out inside the transmission. The oil to the torque converter is fed through a hole in the converter shaft and if it is too far back, or for that matter too far forward then the converter will recieve a limited or even no supply of oil and therefore not function.

If ( as I did, you measure to the micron but don't make the allowance ) then you have a problem comming.

Also on the durability side - the zook converter only has three bolting pads to the flexplate. Many others have six (Feroza). When you are having your converter overhauled ( you ARE doing this arn't you... ) you can get a corolla rear cover ( don't know which one, but the converter guy should ) put on which has six mounting pads. As the converter is cut open to service it already - its not a bid job / deal. Note as you are using the original converter internals there are no changes in converter characteristics ( unless you want - Secret Squirrel stuff... )

Its even better if you are using a Daihatsu flex plate - because the converter now bolts straight on and locates perfectly in the crank.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: A44D(series ) tips

Post by gwagensteve »

I'm not going to ask what happened for you to find this out, but consider comiserations sent :|

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

It all rather simple actually - all the bits were set up on the CMM ( Co-ordinate Measuring Machine - big $$$ ) and a series of ultra precise measurements made to the micron - so far so good.

Then some reasonably precise machining happened, taking this precise data and turning it into a spacer plate to correct for the slightly longer Zook converter when compared to the Feroza one and a few other minor differences.

We then assembled it and congratulated ourselves ( myself actually ) on what a magnificant fit I had achieved - everything just sat flush and needed bolting up - what a relief ! Why have "slop" - precision thats the go.

Pity my torque converter wasn't singing from the same page.

Ah well - some things you just learn the hard way......
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

A little more A44Dx Series stuff.

It is possible to control the A44Dx auto without any electronics as long as you are prepared to ignore the converter lockup.
Obviously this provides full manual control only - no auto shift, but its dead easy. This is not speculation.

The manual shifter is required still as it mechanically selects PRND21 and a 2 pole 4 position switch wired to produce the correct solenoid switching pattern provides the gear selection when in D

The switching pattern is
Sol A Sol B
1st - ON OFF
2nd - ON ON
3rd - OFF ON
4th - OFF OFF

I would avoid using the converter lock as there is no simple way to determine if it should be locked that doesn't involve a risk of having it locked at the wrong time and possibly damaging it. This will result in a slight drop in economy but is absolutely safe.

The throttle position cable is also required to modulate the shift pressure.

For those obsessed with in cabin toys, you could have twin - twin sticks, two for the auto and two for the transfer. More than enough things to play with.