TRE air lockers - Grand vitara - advice and installation

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Patty - JT GV

TRE air lockers - Grand vitara - advice and installation

Post by Patty - JT GV »

Hi, I have a 2012 GV which I am looking to lock the rear, would consider doing both front and back. Can anyone give me advice on any challenges I will face. Im looking at TRE twin air locker. I know its probably not necessary, but fun all the same. It is a daily driver so selectable lockers are a must. I would consider rear e locker only also as an alternative option.

I will get them installed professionally, open to offers if anyone is in Melbourne also.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: TRE air lockers - Grand vitara - advice and installation

Post by gwagensteve »

The biggest challenges you'll face are related to installation and driveline strength.

I believe the TRE locker itself is OK. I'd never recommend them for an application that ARB makes a locker to suit, but I believe adapting a genuine ARB locker for the rear of a NGV is expensive as they don't offer an off the shelf part # to suit and it requires adaption.

I also understand the TRE compressor, solenoids and loom are poor quality and prone to failure. Consider using genuine ARB parts.

Locking the diffs is the best way to improve control of your vehicle off road. I've found the NGV traction to control to be poorly calibrated and when combined with tall gearing, it makes the car difficult to drive off road. Having locker(s) will allow you to left foot brake if you have an auto so you can modulate power delivery much better. With a manual, you won't find the traction control jumping on the brakes and stalling the engine when you're trying to drive as slowly as possible. Having said that, I'm not sure how the TC will behave with a locker, (especially, say, just the rear engaged) so you may need a TC delete switch to stop the car fighting with you. This shouldn't be a problem with both diffs locked as the TC won't see any issues with wheel speed.

Obviously, however, locking diffs can deliver a lot more torque to a wheel than is possible with open diffs or traction control. As few people have experimented with locking diffs on the NGV platform, you may find the limit of driveline strength, especially CV's.

Whilst installation is much the same as for an air locker, make sure you've found an installer who will take the job on. IFS cars are also more time consuming and complex to disassemble to remove the diff centre compared to a solid axle 4WD, so the installation cost may well be higher a long with unfamiliarity with fitting a locker in that application.

I understand (their) E lockers are terrible.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon