ECU reader

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Rod_Muddytrail

ECU reader

Post by Rod_Muddytrail »

Can anyone recommend a budget diagnostic code reader for my G13BB please. Something to personally use in the shed?
I was chasing a fuel problem and just curious if anything came up and clearing old codes.

I think the tech word is OBD1 scanner
Cohengoo
Site Admin

Re: ECU reader

Post by Cohengoo »

my understanding is only some of the g13bb ecus are obd2 compatible.
if yours is not which being an early generation of the g13bb I doubt it will be compatible, a solution to this is if you have a check engine light set up, you can ground the diagnostic terminal, which is a white plug with six holes generally on the passenger side of the loom and the check engine light will flash the stored code.
Rod_Muddytrail

Post by Rod_Muddytrail »

Thanks Cohen
I’ll try that, I saw a write up about the white plug (6 pin) on google tonight but didn’t know if it was applicable to me
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Unfortunately G13bb’s (or g series at all) don’t sense fuel pressure or really monitor the fuel side of the engine at all. The diagnostics are pretty basic and I don’t think I’d be buying a code reader to try and get more out of it. Putting the diagnostic plug into read mode to check for faults via the check engine light is probably as much as you’ll get, assuming the fault you’re getting is currently lighting the CE light. If it’s not, that’s because the fault isn’t covered by the scope of the ECU
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Rod_Muddytrail

Post by Rod_Muddytrail »

Ok thanks,
This is the first time installing my first fuel injected wiring loom and it’s fascinating how well it’s going and just learning a little bit about the computer system was just a bit of fun, was just seeing if there was an app or a computer program that was easy accessible.
Quinny
Financial Member

Post by Quinny »

Best android app for Bluetooth OBD2 Readers for Suzuki's is SZ Viewer A1.

Its a app designed just for a suzuki.

Also make sure if you do buy a OBD2 reader that you buy a real ELM27 and not a fake Chinese one, they are very different.

The brand i can recommend is "Viecar" they run for about $30 and have a real ELM27 Chip in them.
Rod_Muddytrail

Post by Rod_Muddytrail »

Thanks for that, I’ll look into it.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Check whether pin 7 or pin 9 is populated. From memory Australian Suzukis use pin 7 and the SDL/KWP protocol instead of OBD2 on vehicles pre-2006.
The rhinopower website and forum has a bit of info on it.