adjustable sierra drag link

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

avocadosteve

adjustable sierra drag link

Post by avocadosteve »

has anyone made an adjustable drag link?
after "full" RUF, vitara power steer with ben t wedge and +20mm shackles ive found i no longer have my steering box in the center for straight ahead, this means i dont get full lock one side too , is a longer drag link the only solution or am i missing something
christover1
Financial Member

Re: adjustable sierra drag link

Post by christover1 »

Moving the pitman arm around one or two splines may help. Best to wait for more ideas, though, it can be extremely hard to get them off.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: adjustable sierra drag link

Post by gwagensteve »

Coliso offer a heavy duty tie rod and drag link kit that comes with an adjustable drag link: https://auszookers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15518

Couple of provisos: obviously it's expensive, and the land cruiser style tie rod end on the axle end of the drag link can cause interference with the wheel.

However, I haven't found it necessary to change drag link length on the cars I've built, but I haven't used the BenT wedge. However, by my reasoning that should move the steering box slightly left, towards the passenger side and with the box centred the tip of the pitman arm would move quite a bit to the passenger side. I would have thought this would more than make up for the difference caused by the lift/RUF.

I don't recall if the vitara sector shaft has skipped splines which would prevent you moving the pitman arm on the shaft, but I'd start there. pull the pitman arm, centre the box, replace pitman arm with the wheels straight ahead.

Be aware that it's not uncommon to bend a drag link with full RUF/power steer. I loose sleeved mine with pipe many years ago, it's been fine since.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon