Thermo /Clutch fan

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

richplezo

Thermo /Clutch fan

Post by richplezo »

I have a feeling that i should look at replacing the fixed radiator fan on my 85 Sierra with a thermo fan.
It works fine but i worry about what might happen in a deep river crossing , plus it's other obvious bad points .
Reading through various blogs here it seems Volvo 2 speed fans and Vitaras too do a good job .
If anyone has any good advice in this area , please jump in , Cheers , Richard P
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Thermo /Clutch fan

Post by gwagensteve »

The Vitara viscous fan works very well. Most sierras with thermo fans overheat because thermos pull less air than an engine driven fan and the shape of the radiator prevents a large enough thermo to the fitted.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

Ive been considering options also. My car runs too cold on cold days. (Mine has not got hit air intake)
Do you think a viscous fan could help in that situation as it's not locked up and therefore not pulling as much air?
On hot days and step climbs it still gets quite warm so was reluctant to go thermo on its own
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Yes, absolutely.

Also check/replace the thermostat if it hasn't been recently replaced.

If it gets warm still with a vitara viscous fan and Sierra shroud there is another problem with the car - that combination will cool even a G16B in a Sierra very well.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

yeah ok, i'll give those things a go!

Has anyone got a Vitara viscous fan on offer?