Jimny (older) urges are happening. What should I know?

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

christover1
Financial Member

Jimny (older) urges are happening. What should I know?

Post by christover1 »

Pajero is most likely going to be dergistered and scrapped.
If this happens pay out may be enough for an older Jimny. (Still checking out Paj non air bag ideas, too)
If I add any good bits I sell from Pajero to the money pile.
I have softened and must have a coil/efi and preferably an auto machine.
Think I could get one ready for Tassy in time.
Aiming for tough tourer, Safari capable, but not Adventure Tour standard.
I think I know everything, but I could be wrong :)
Having trouble getting motivation to rebuild the same car all over again :(
A new project with lighter parts could be just what I need for remotivation.
(I had just finished all the Pajeros planned works :( )
Won't be huge tired (probably 30s), and I intend some under body protection on anything people recommend.
Diff locker/s of course
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Jimny (older) urges are happening. What should I know?

Post by gwagensteve »

You need to know they're made of glass and expensive to upgrade, difficult to gear and they all end up over GVM. If you're chasing a tough tourer, there's no good reason to start with a vehicle that's neither particularly tough or good at touring.

Early Jimny's are getting pretty tired now. Personally, I think they're overpriced for what they are. If you want something different, compare the price of purchase and parts/upgrades of a TJ Wrangler with a hard top or an XJ Cherokee to an early Jimny.

The whole point of something like a Pajero is that they're very strong and cheap, parts are readily available and you're not driving around over GVM so the car isn't getting a hard time constantly.

I'm all for people working with Jimny's and trying to get them to do things they shouldn't be able to, but generally that's people trying to make them better at being a jimny, and even that takes persistence, money and ingenuity. Trying to make a jimny do something it wasn't fundamentally designed to do (go touring) is even harder. I reckon you'll also be back to wanting to tow trailer, something else a Jimny isn't that great at without a torque increase.

I know lots of people have done all these things with Jimnys, towing, touring and running 30's, but that's often been a result of circumstance - it's not what you'd choose if you had the option.

Just my 2C.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Thanks, appreciate all input
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Newer Paj models are affordable, now, if I go that route hope Takata don't jinx them.
Factory lockers in some models, and a 5 speed auto that I know nothing of.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Hmm. I've driven a very late model Pajero in Alice Springs a couple of years ago. Not a fan. Oddly truck like, the worst dust sealing of any car i've been in (including my Defender and Gwagen) - driving at speed you could see the dust pouring into the interior through the interior door handles. Everything was coated within a few km on fast dirt. This was a car with ~20K on it too.

I believe they're quite strong but the IRS does weird stuff (lots of toe and camber change when laden) and adding rim width or offset exacerbates these issues.

They need the rear locker to compensate for the IRS lack of articulation.

Also, more complexity = more parts to wear out - more bushes/CV's/links/electronics etc.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I need less air bags, and no ABS, all else is rather good.
93 to 99 gen 2 with 3.5s and 2.8s have factory body lift.
This would be a must.
All NLs have factory body lift and many have no air bags either. So thats an option.
Non air bag models have suddenly got dearer lately.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I wouldn't daily a car without ABS. If I had my way, cars without ABS would be forced onto club plates to ensure they cover low KM and are enthusiast owned.

Whether you choose to have airbags or not is up to you - Choosing to accept the increased risk is a personal decision to some extent.

The ability for a driver without special skills or training to prevent all manner of accidents in a car with ABS is why it's so important. In some situations, the driver might have no idea that the ABS even did anything. If your opposition is about off road behaviour, using the CDL light or low range light to disable ABS is simple enough.

It's not unreliable or troublesome. About the worst thing that happens is occasional wheel speed sensor failure. In older vehicles it's completely transparent if its non-functional too. (in modern cars with ESP wheel speed sensor failure can make the brakes do some very odd things. Not dangerous, just odd, like fire the ABS with every brake application)
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Won't be my choice, all the air bag gen 2 models won't be available.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Ah I get it - you're saying any pajero without airbags doesn't have ABS.

I'd pick a vehicle that's not subject to the Takata recall in that case.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

gwagensteve wrote: Sun 26 Jan, 2020 3:14 pm Ah I get it - you're saying any pajero without airbags doesn't have ABS.

I'd pick a vehicle that's not subject to the Takata recall in that case.
That is the main aim in my searchings.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH