Swags

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

jonfromhamilton

Swags

Post by jonfromhamilton »

Thinking of getting a double swag.
Not super wanting to spend money on a darche but don't want to end up with something I have to repair in the middle of the night.
Any tips?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Swags

Post by gwagensteve »

I’ve never understood the appeal of a swag. Seems like the combination of the worst of a canvas tent and a bivvy bag, in a form that’s the size of a small caravan once rolled up.

I have slept in a swag and they’re cosy, but that’s about the only positive I can see.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Crashpad are a good brand, probably as expensive as darche but worth a look.

Doubles are massive though, you and the mrs might find a large single is big enough? There are some quite large single ones around these days?
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Just watched a webinar on light weight camping.
Hiking shops sell super light weight swags, that pack small (though not cheap)
Usually not found in Anaconda/BCF type shops.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

They're called tents Chris hahaha
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Or bivvy bags. The more elaborate of which have a rod to keep the bag off your face, much like a lighter, smaller, more waterproof swag
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

I bought one of these. Very good for the price. Packs up small.
https://www.snowys.com.au/pro-hiker-2-tent

I have a swag. Slept in it twice. First time felt like a coffin. Removed the middle pole so I could roll over. Second time I had it on a stretcher and it was super comfortable. It rained. Water pooled at the seams and soaked in. It has a canvas base. The crashpad swags look great. I still think the 4wdsupacentre swags are a great option. If you don't camp often. I'm soft in my old age. Swag on a stretcher or a good tent with quality closed cell foam mattress and flannel lined sleeping bag.

Snowys have some fantastic review videos too.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I am beyond hiking camping these days, so car based only now. Considering this or similar next.
Off the ground, fairly simple set up.
Pack up size/shape may be a problem.
https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/o ... cher-queen
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Yes they are great. I needed to find one with a decent load rating : :lol:
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Steve, I think you are dismissing some of the downsides of tents/bivvys which swags overcome. I have spent a fair bit of time in swags and tents in a range of environments and I personally take a swag when car camping in the high country in winter.

I think this is a good topic for the next club meeting presentation! Lets do sleeping setups and everyone can bring their various options.

The downside of a tent for me, in winter, you are always going to get some condensation in a tent and end up with at least a wet fly if not a wet inner as well. Even worse if its raining.

Dealing with a wet and dirty tent on a multi day expedition is a pain, its fine to deal with if you have to carry it on a hike and want the lightest option but I think its not worth it if you have a vehicle and space is less of an issue. Eventually your sleeping bag and other gear end up wet from the tent so you end up trying to dry stuff during your trip to avoid this. Swags are much better from this perspective.

Also the bonus of having everything rolled up in a mostly water resistant bag that can go on the roof or on the back of a tray is good for me. Finding dry and available space for a tent/mat/sleeping bag/pillow in a car can be hard, especially when car camping setups are generally bigger than hiking ones. Also keeping your sleeping gear away from dirty, wet and sharp things like shovels and other tools/recovery gear in the back of the car can be difficult. Your sleeping setup is your last line of defense in the wilderness, so always worth looking after this stuff as the highest priority.