Noisy rear diff.

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

luigi
Financial Member

Noisy rear diff.

Post by luigi »

Finally got my sierra going again. But now I will have to rebuild the rear diff. I have the diff center out on the bench. There is about 30 thou backlash between the pinion and crown wheel. I dont think there should be any, right?
I see there are bearing sets for sale on ebay for about $120. Are these bearings OK? They don't seem to include crush tube or shims. Has anyone rebuilt a diff themselves.? I mean in the shed at home. Is it possible, or is it a false ecconomy?
Many years ago, I and a mechanic mate rebuilt a HR holden diff in my shed and it worked fine. Never sure if it was good luck that it worked or not.

A new ARB air locker will cost nearly $2000. Would need to consult the minister of war and finance about. But I think I know what the answer would be.
This diff I have now( my sierra diff) was rebuilt by transdiff in Bayswater about 12 years ago. Apart from a leaking pinion seal it has been trouble free till now. I have always added Moreys to the oil. The crownwheel and pinion look to be in good condition.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the best thing to do? Thanks for reading fellas, I hope to have it( my sierra) at the next meeting.
Luigi.