Vehicle reliability

This is the place to view upcoming club trip information.

Moderator: Committee

Club Committee
Financial Member

Vehicle reliability

Post by Club Committee »

Over time we have had to deal with a number of known and unknown unreliable vehicles coming on trips and breaking down. Please note that it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure that they are bringing a reliable vehicle on a trip. It is not fair on the others attending to have to deal with vehicle breakdowns due to a known problem. Unforseen circumstances such as breakages on the tracks are a different issue and dealing with issue on the track is part of the experience and a good learning curve as well but bringing an inherently unreliable car on a trip is not acceptable. Trip leaders have the right to reject any vehicle if they feel that it is not reliable or not suited to the trip being undertaken.

If you have an issue with your vehicle please ask for help as we are keen to see as many members attending as many trips as possible so if help can be given it generally is.

Also, highly consider taking out RACV Total Care. We can generally get you out of the bush but getting your vehicle home is ultimately your responsibility and Total Care has proven to be a pretty good investment in this area.
Greg

Re: Vehicle reliability

Post by Greg »

couldn't you have just sent Noel, Steve and myself a pm saying that our cars were not welcome on club trips anymore?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

It's a good point. The usefulness of total care can't be underestimated.

Whilst I find fixing broken cars on the track good therapy, a car that limps to a trip, especially due to a lack of maintenance, can be very frustrating.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

As all have stated, its a matter of real inconvienience for you and the other people on the trip.

Given the nature of our obsession, things happen on the tracks and I believe the club has a remarkable record of trackside repairs - I can't recall a vehicle being left during my time in the club. However, this is solely due to the tolerance and broad ranging technical abilities of our members - something that obviously shouldn't be relied on.

We all exercise judgement on the tracks, we make decissions regarding whats appropriate for us to drive or just too scarry. That same judgement should tell us when we have to stay home.

And on the Total Care subject, its great value for money. your out of pocket expenses WILL easily exceed the cost even for the smallest breakdown - let alone a tow home from "God knows where..."

IMHO it should be compulsory. :idea:
Gallagags
Financial Member

Post by Gallagags »

Total care is compulsory for me, ever since I rang my Dad from the base of Mt Stirling asking him to go a get a trailer and come and get me!