Sunset/Border Trk. Easter. Apr 15/18

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

luigi
Financial Member

Sunset/Border Trk. Easter. Apr 15/18

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
A three day camping trip into the Mallee Sunset Country and down the Border Trk.
I am still working out the details for meeting place, which will be Good Friday afternoon , but not yet sure where.
Probably somewhere to the west of Hopetoun or Ouyen.

This trip will be easy/ easyish. Suitable for most 4wd cars with reasonable ground clearance.
Because of the distances and remoteness, cars need to be in good mechanical condition. Drivers need to be self sufficient in fuel, water and food. Also carry basic spares and tools.

More details to come.
Regards. Wayne. 0419539264
Damo

Re: Sunset/Border Trk. Easter. Apr 15/18

Post by Damo »

Keen
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I am in if Tassie don't break anything.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Pigpen
Associate

Post by Pigpen »

I am in as well

Rod
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
The meeting place for this trip will be at Wonga Camp Ground. Wonga is a large camping area in Wyperfield National Park. It is about 40 Km Nth West of Hopetoun.
We will meet there on Friday afternoon and camp there Friday night. Bookings are required for Wonga Camp. There is a small fee, I will book a site for us. One site can take 6 cars.
Don't expect petrol stations in Hopetoun to be open on Good Friday. Last time we were there it was self serve fuel. ( so....unreliable)
My Plan is to head Sth West from Wonga, then Nth thru Murrayville and across to the Border Track.

luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
I misunderstood the Parks Vic website. :? I have booked for 5 cars at Wonga Campground. I will need rego numbers as we get closer to the trip. Can add extra booking if needed. But I don't anticipate more than 5 cars.
We will also need to book a day pass for each car for Ngarkat National Park. Ngarkat is in Sth Aust. (the one way part of Border Track is in Sth Aust)

I have worked out a route for our trip.
My plan is....
Head Sth West from Wonga Camp, onto Purra Track, Pella Track, onto Milmed Rock Track onto Old Murrayville Track. From Old Murrayville Track we can checkout the Big Dune Track, if it is open. But I think the Big Dune might be a little beyond our groups capabilities. From Old Murrayville Track we can take Cactus Bore Track, Coburns Track, Firebreak Track to Murrayville. Not sure how long this section will take. We might be camping somewhere and get to Murrayville Sunday morning.
From Murrayville we can go Nth onto Rockholes Track and Border Track. Or go further Nth onto Pheenys Track and checkout Rocket lake. Then backtrack along Pheenys Track and onto the Border track from further Nth.

These tracks should give us a good look at The Big Desert and a fair bit of sand sand driving.

Pigpen
Associate

Post by Pigpen »

Hi Wayne,

This plan looks good . I had a great time last year and are looking forward to this year's trip.
There were some really good sand driving sections that were challenging. Let me know if you need any money for permits/fees before the next meeting

Cheers Rod
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I am back in Victoria. Need to do some spanner spinning, so still a maybe at this stage.
Known issues is brake hoses, which are on order. Then a check over to make sure go or no.
I need a change from beaches, waterfalls and huge craggy mountains, a bit of desert be nice.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I am not coming :(
Clutch started screaming at me. Best I not take the risk.
(I failed in the last Tassy bog hole, probably related to that)
Will fix that up, or shove an auto in, and save money for next trip.
Have a great trip all.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Sorry to hear you can't come Christover.

I WOULD like to know who is coming.
Rod said yes...anyone else?

At this stage the weather looks coolish with a little overnight rain to settle the dust. (better than the 40 plus temps we had last time.)