Tasy Round 2: Saturday 25th September return Saturday 2nd October

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Nugget

Re: Tasy Round 2: Saturday 25th September return Saturday 2nd October

Post by Nugget »

Booked! Evening 24th Sep, returning 10th Oct (gonna go visit some mates in Hobart after the trip).
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Balfour seems an easy track these days, but only if dry https://youtu.be/ndo3-Hn6tIs

Worth following this mob, videos are from 2020 so very up to date

https://youtu.be/KQ-RJrOP7mg
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I was watching 6wd vids, turned into watching Tassy vids, and Zooks also appeared.
I recognised a few places, too.
https://youtu.be/-d4KWt20f3Y
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

Good to see some of you at the online club meeting a few nights back. So, it seems people are happy to skip a planning night and leave the details up to me. Ha ha ha ha (evil laugh). Your still welcome to yell out at any time if you hear of anything that may be of interest! This long post is somewhat in place of a planning meeting.
In chatting to John today, he is also keen to join us and also has some Tasy contacts with some track ideas… stay tuned for more detail.

I’ve looked at last trips plan plus combined a few new ideas;

New/incomplete tracks
-Lake Cumberland Track. Medium. Scenic
-Arthur River to Sandy Cape Lighthouse (and beyond?)
-$1000 Track (Waratah, Magnet and Coldstream). started this however some cars where to broken at this point last time. Winching required!
-Borradaile Plains. Research suggests this is an easy grade scenic track.

Do again tracks?
-Henty Dunes/ Ocean Beach Road. Lots of fun. Worth going back.
-Montezuma Falls. Somewhat easy drive however fantastic waterfall! Look into doing the harder track on way in or out.
-Climies Track. Some good driving and very scenic. Takes a while though.

Although a lot of these tracks are short, there is likely already more than a weeks’ worth of tracks in that list. I’m thinking a North to South approach this time, but perhaps still also plan to finish with Waratah area. This will allow us to tackle the ones that we didn’t touch last time, first.
Tasy Tracks.JPG
Tasy Tracks.JPG (104.87 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Things to think about:
Not knowing where all people are at with having done this type of trip before, here are some things to bring/think about;
-Fuel. For the sierras with stock fuel tanks, you will likely need to carry more fuel. 20L should do it. Note: you can not take a fuel container over with fuel in it
-Spares. Cary what spare parts you think you will need, however let’s not get too carried away, if you have a good kit, you’re willing to share let others know.
-Recovery gear. I recall the forum had a link on this but could not find it. (Chris?) Anyway, bring your own gear such as snatch strap, soft shackles, D-Shackles, if winch fitted; winch extension, snatch block, tree trunk protector.
-Make sure your car has front and back recovery points
-Fire extinguisher, that is accessible
-Spare cash. If its constantly wet, we will look for accommodation. That, and you may break stuff.
-Ambulance cover. Yep, you should have it as its not fair on others in the convey if your hurt and not wanting to call an ambulance because it will cost too much.
-Get your car to be well prepared: have it looked over by someone that knows Suzuki’s well. Fix any known issues now, so we are not held up on the side of a track via something that was preventable.
-UHF radios: each vehicle will need one. Often there will be no phone coverage. UHF is the way we will communicate when on the road. A handheld will be fine.
-Snorkel: not planning on doing anything deep, however we may have no choice. Last time we had a temporary snorkel setup ready to be used.
-Sand flags: are not mandatory in Tasy, however travelling over dunes it can be a good thing.
-Permits: getting closer to the time and when our destinations are firmed up, we will need to get permits. They send you a small pack so doing it before we go is the go.
-If on club rego, it needs to be with this Suzuki club, as travelling interstate on club rego must be on a club trip

Things we need as a group:
I’ll put a summary up on the first post of this tread as you reply putting your names against these items.
-Any spare seats? I’m needing 1 of my boys to travel in another car at all times as not planning to not have my rear seats in. Would be great if they could jump into several different cars. Volunteer/s?
-Decent size chainsaw. We experienced many trees over the track last time. Volunteer?
-Fire lighting gear: Finding good wood and getting fires going was a real challenge last time. Chainsaw, blower and a blow torch? Volunteer?
-Detailed Maps. I run off google maps, I get by with it, however probably best if we have some more detailed options. Operator to do some homework on my suggested locations beforehand also. Volunteer? Chris?
-Spare space. I’ forecasting there will be a need to shuffle some gear around between us all. 20L can of fuel or water or something… Who has any spare space? (I won’t). Volunteer/s?
-Comprehensive Tool kit. I have a basic set only as we all should, however volunteer for a more comprehensive set?
-Max trax – be good to have a couple of pairs of these. Who is planning on brining them?
-Fridge space. Volunteer/s?
-Wreckers? Would be good to know where we can get bits from if we need them. Volunteer to do some research?

Can someone PM me Richard P and/or Will P mobile number?
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Hi Steve.
I will have a spare seat and some spare room , planning to buy maxtracks.
Planning to carry spares.....waterpump, fuel pump, uni joint, wheel bearings, axle seals, hoses, belts , clutch cable,accelerator cable , airline repair kit, spring repair clamps, oils and syringe to put oil in gearbox, assorted nuts and bolts , sealant, tie wire and electrical wire.

Sounds like a lot of stuff, but it can all fit into a small space.

Really looking forward to this trip :D
Regards. Wayne.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Totally happy with the suggested plan.
Have winch and related equipment.
-Spare seat 1 with smelly old dog included (And a smelly old bloke driving)
-Fire lighting gear: Always have eco logs and fire starters
-Maps: Tassy guide book and its hema way points in gps.
Will save some more co ords to road maps section of gps at some stage.
Have paper maps
-Spare storage space: Very little, light items only ie bag of kids clothes or similar (New Paj is much smaller)
- Tool kit: Have my normal Paj tools on board,
and spare belts/hoses/ electricals/small amount of oils
-Max trax: 1 standard length pair, 1 short length pair.
Will have a 10L jerry on the back (unleaded), unlikely to need it, so can be used by anyone that has to.
Won't have room for extra jerry, though.
Happy to share anything useful.
Last edited by christover1 on Mon 14 Jun, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Recovery gear list on this page : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3222

What do you need to attend a Club Trip:
The minimum equipment for anyone attending a club trip is as follows:
1 x snatch strap
2 x rated shackles
1 x fire extinguisher
1 x first aid kit
All of these items can be bought from your local 4wd Accessories shop, and are good to have items in your car whether you become a club member or not.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Another view of Lake Cumberland tk. Bit poor editing, but good clear video. A bit of Henty Dunes etc as well https://youtu.be/aj5t6BbZ5Dg

Part 1 and 3 have some useful info on tracks that have been suggested. https://youtu.be/cjkcPJzvZhU?list=TLPQM ... A9QIqdWK6A
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Addresses and times that could be handy.

Footy Club (Camping) John St /Caroline St E Devonport (for me as I arriving earlier than most)

Foodworx M - F 7am - 8pm SAT & SUN 8am - 8pm 156 Tarleton St E Devonport

Woolworths 7am -10pm daily 74 Best St Devenport

Bunnings (firewood) M - F 6.30am – 9pm SAT & SUN 8am - 6pm 4 Friend St Devenport
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH