Melbourne 4wd Proving Ground - Day Trip

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Greg

Melbourne 4wd Proving Ground - Day Trip

Post by Greg »

Melbourne 4wd Proving Ground Day Trip

The enquiries for this trip have started. I have spoken to the team at Werribbee and have emailed through a request for a quote (i.e. price for use of facilities).

Once I have these details, I will post up the facts, and we can gauge interest accordingly.

Just incase you don't know of this location - here it is: http://melbourne4x4.com/

I would envisage a Driving / Semi Social day of driving through the tracks they have, re-grouping for some lunch (byo food style bbq), then back out for another play.

Cheers,
Greg
andrew_wale

Re: Melbourne 4wd Proving Ground - Day Trip

Post by andrew_wale »

This sounds good.

Greg has asked to see how the Jeep performs.

Post by Greg »

Ok - i got a reply back from the folks at the Proving Ground.

The cost of using the ground, bbqs and toilets (included conference room, but not the kitchen) is $40 per head + gst.

I'm not sure if that means per car, or literally per person...

What do people think? To me this seems a bit expensive for what we would get out of it.

Post up your thoughts and we will gauge interest accordingly.

Cheers
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

If we have a are able to use everything for 1 day, then $40.00 is not to bad, but if we have access for a few hours, then it could be quite expensive.
It all depends on.

1. What sort of tracks do they have?
2. Are they interesting to drive?
3. How long are we able to use the tracks?

Post by Greg »

Surprisingly for me, the consensus at the August meeting seemed to be positive towards still going to the 4wd proving ground...

So,

I have written back to the 4wd proving ground people to clarify if the $40 pricing is per head, or per vehicle.

i have also asked if a scouting trip (probably walking only) would be possible to check out the facilities and tracks to work out if it would all be worthwhile.

once i get more info, i'll let you all know.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ok - confirmed - $40 per person (not per vehicle).

John - please contact me regarding a date to visit these guys. they are already booked solid for this coming weekend so we cannot go then. for me it will need to be a sat or sun i think.
cinders
Financial Member

Post by cinders »

Team

Went to the Proving grounds on Friday.
Talked to Robert and had a look at the facilities

Cost $600 by check Dicount with cash
Max 20 cars

The Proving Grounds do not appear to be that large and a large group would loose interest by lunchtime.
BUT a structured day with some input from the Suzuki Club Old Hands would make for a great day.

My suggestion would be that the Club holds a Self and Partner Training and Personal VehicleTesting Day.
NOTE the Training would be SELF TRAINING due to insurance hassles
This would consist of a Static display and a three section Round Robin.

Sugessted Layout/Plan

9.30 (30 -40 min)
Head count, collect money and start static display
The Static Display would consist of Experienced Club Member Discussing the Following- Physical Display of Off Road Tool Kit with extinguisher- Static Display of Recovery Gear
PC display with no more than 5 minutes of U Tube movies-Snatch Strap thru window .Slow Reversing Rollover etc
Walk Past two or three BUILT Suzies with their owners pointing out any points of interest

10.00- 11.00
Make 3 groups under the supervision of Experienced Club Members ( mainly as traffic wardens) to start Round Robin.
The three sections would be
1 See Saw, Climbing Ramp and rut section
2 Five storey hill descent/climb 2 story molehill climb descent
3 Creek crossing and circuit drive around back of the creek

11.00 - 12.00
Change sections

12.00- 13.00
BBQ Lunch Sell T shirts and other club stuff

13.00- 14.00
Complete Round Robin

14.00 - 14.30
Demo of BUILT Suzies doing some hard stuff

14.30- 15.30
Groups can tackle any sections that they want to

15. 30
Head Count End of day

Any suggestions

John

The New Chums can take their cars and test/see what they can do- hills, ruts, the see saw and climbinmg ramp. Partners paricpate as well. Skills ,confidence and new experiences all in a safer enviroment.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hey John,

Thanks for getting in there and checking things out. I'm glad to see that your opinion of what is, and what isn't available to do still matches what our we were thinking from 2 years ago.

IMO, the cost would still out-way the benefits - other than the see-saw (which is not a common obsticle in the bush), everything else could be found and driven for zero cost in the state forests... it seems to me that this is always going to be a better option.

However, if you comments are more along the lines of "the club needs more newbie days", then i guess we could have that occur too - but i'm certainly not the man to run it.

Lets concur at the next club meeting - but my vote will be that it's a waste of money (politely speaking that is).

Cheers,
Greg