Flares & Mudflaps - Whats required by law

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Flares & Mudflaps - Whats required by law

Post by mightymouse »

This is what I have been able to find as a condition of Roadworthiness.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonl ... /VSI26.pdf

and some quotes form ADR's

ADR 15.2.4 Wheel guards may consist of either permanent body structure or part structure and other components,
including mud flaps, provided the specified protection is retained during vehicle operation.

ADR 15.2.5 states that: Notwithstanding the requirements specified above (groups of axles) the wheel gaurd including
a mud flap (if fitted) need not be less than 230mm from the ground for other than off- road vehicles, or 300mm in the case of vehicles designed for off- road operation.

ADR15.3.2 The wheels of a vehicle and the wheel of a side car must be fitted with wheel gaurds of width not less than the section width of the tyre ( thats the top of the tread ). The wheel gaurds must be so designed as to protect other raod users, as far as practicable, against thrown up stones,mud, ice snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels.

ADR 15.3.3.1 The wheel gaurd provided for the rear wheel must extend not less than from a point vertically above the
foremost part of the wheel rearward to a point not higher thanthe intersection of the arc of the wheel with a line through
the centre of the wheel at 45 degrees to a horizontal plane through the centre of the wheel.

Extra FACTS appreciated - pls quote source as its wise to know the rules BEFORE you argue with the police ( and even then risky... )
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Flares & Mudflaps - Whats required by law

Post by gwagensteve »

That's the facts as I understand them, however, I will offer a different opinon here -
mightymouse wrote: ADR15.3.2 The wheels of a vehicle and the wheel of a side car must be fitted with wheel gaurds of width not less than the section width of the tyre ( thats the top of the tread ).
My understanding of section width is it is the widest part of the tyre, total, which for a passenger car tyre might be very close to the edge of the tread, but for an offroad tyre, might be about 1/2 way between the rim and the tread.

This difference can be very significant - here is an example - a 35X13.5 Krawler on a 10" rim. It's an extreme case, but gives you a sense that covering the width of the tread might not satisfy an officer of the law, or comply with the requirements of a roadworthy as I understand it.

michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

I was told by a cop that the way he tests flares is to place a coin flat against the wheel arch/flare and drop it, if it makes contact with any part of the wheel or tyre he'll give you a warning or canary, depending on his mood. The ends of the flare have to taper towards the body and any protruding edge should be no smaller than 5mm.

I have also been told that the entire width of the tread has to be covered by your mudflaps, so your mudflaps have to nearly join your flares for anything with sidewall tread, this is not credible info, it was told to me by a friend who has afriend that knows a guy that got a fine.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Which would substantiate my understanding of section width.

Not having a go Ross, just needed it to be clear.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Post by cj! »

That pretty much covers it. The ADR referred to is what I was going on for the 300mm limit and section width is the basically the widest point of the cross section of the tyre. From time to time the Police ping people for these infringements and it appears that it is happening again as these are pretty easy for them to spot when following you.
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

No problems with feedback guys - am trying to get to the facts, when theres so much rumor going around.

My idea is to try and get to a point where we all know exactly whats required ( at least on paper ) so we can minimise the risks.

Perhaps we can then transfer our findings to a new category - a "Tech Bible", an area reserved for validated data only and not "postable" - possible mr editor ?

Will see what I can find on "section width"......
cj!

Post by cj! »

This is taken from Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 23/00 –
Passenger Car Tyres) 2006

23.1.12. 'Section Width' - the linear distance between the exteriors of the
'Sidewalls' of an inflated tyre, excluding elevations due to labelling,
decoration, or protective bands.
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Ok - but the roadworthiness requirement doesn't say section width - it says "Section width at the top of the tyres".

Check the URL supplied if you don't believe me...... Section I Wheelgaurds ( Mudguards )
muppet_man67

Post by muppet_man67 »

in the end it doesn't really matter what the adr says. your not going to take it to court because they will get you for something else. We have to comply with the way police are reading/enforcing the law. if you do that then it keeps our profile low and less chance of a canary.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

ADR 15.3 DOES NOT apply to us it only applies to L class vehicles, bikes and trikes. We only need to worry about ADR 15.2

The entire ADR for off-road passenger vehicle wheel guards is below. The link at the bottom also has some other useful info on exhaust rules.

Wheel Guards for Vehicles other than MA and L-group Vehicles

15.2.1. General Requirements

All wheels of a motor vehicle or trailer (including a ‘Prime Mover’ capable of operating without a ‘Semitrailer’) must be provided with wheel guards which must be so designed as to protect other road users, as far as practicable, against thrown-up stones, mud, ice, snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels.

15.2.2. Special Requirements

The wheel guards on the rearmost wheels on vehicles other than MA and L-Group vehicles must provide continuous protection between a point in area A and a point in area B in Figure 2, and must be provided for the ‘Overall Tyre Width’ of all tyres.

15.2.2.1. In the case of steerable wheels, the requirements of clause 15.2.2 must only apply when the wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

15.2.3. Wheel guards may consist of either permanent body structure or part structure and other components, including mudflaps, provided the specified protection is retained during vehicle operation.

15.2.4. Where 2 or more ‘Axles’ form an ‘Axle Group’, separate wheel guards may be provided for each rear wheel or a single wheel guard may be provided which provides continuous protection from area ‘A’ of the foremost wheel to area ‘B’ of the rearmost wheel in Figure 2.

15.2.5. Notwithstanding the requirements specified above the wheel guard including a mudflap (if fitted) need not be less than 230 mm from the ground for other than off-road vehicles, or 300 mm in the case of vehicles designed for off-road operation.

15.2.6. The requirements of this part do not apply to any vehicle the construction or use of which is such that, in the opinion of the ‘Administrator’ it is unnecessary or impracticable to provide a wheel guard(s).

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legisla ... B300072BC5