Melb Cup Weekend Trip 1 - Border Track

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

christover1
Financial Member

Re: Melb Cup Weekend Trip 1 - Border Track

Post by christover1 »

cj! wrote:I can't see a real problem Chris given Frogs ability and the weight of the trailer you're building. It will just add a new challenge to your trips ;) especially if you have to back down a dune.
But I'm old and soft, I won't drive any hard lines any more, so no backing down will be needed :twisted:

So I wonder why I'm fitting reversing lights then :?: :mrgreen:
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
cj!

Post by cj! »

For those that can get off early on the Friday, Paul will be leaving from the BP servo by the Calder Park Thunderdome.
cj!

Post by cj! »

I'm going but at this stage will probably be leaving a couple of hours later. Should be a fun trip.
cj!

Post by cj! »

Well unfortunately as it turns out we won't be doing the Ngarkat section of Border Track next to Big Desert as it shuts on Nov 1 till Mar 31 and may even shut earlier this year due to fire bans possibly coming in earlier.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Insert long list of bad words here................

Still we found some interesting tracks in Big Desert last time Paul and I were up there so still will be fun.
cj!

Post by cj! »

I have learned that apparently that there is a bottom section below the Big Desert part that we could still access that most people don't do but it is more rutted and has some bogholes and less of the dunes to climb. Also apparently there are some dunes in the Ngarkat Park accessible from the sealed Pinaroo-Bordertown Rd to play on as well. Will see what else I can find out.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Another fun trip into the desert country - thanks Paul. A good turnup of nine cars on Friday, with Rob leaving Sunday.

The drive Friday afternoon seemed to zoom by, even if Daryl and I picked up some crap fuel along the way, which resulted in a fuel gauge the seemed to drop before our very eyes. I though something serious had gone wrong with the Feroza's EFI till Daryl confirmed he was experiencing the same issue - a quite sigh of relief....

Had rain Friday night with light showers on Saturday which made for some great slippery stuff which just had to be redriven a few times to make sure it wasn't just luck the first time. The "bowl" was a particular favorite ( Damien would still be there..... ).

Joey's roast went down a treat Saturday night, even if there was a moment when people were asking if the deposit was refundable.

The showers killed the dust and changed the condition of the sand yet again. Mid section of Border track was closed ( gate open but didn't drive it ) but plenty of interesting bypass tracks and dunes to play on.

Sunday saw some serious circle work at Ross's Springs in a large sand depression Paul and I found last time with some more dune climbing thrown in. A few interesting stories - but will leave them to others to tell

Monday saw a reverse run of Big Desert back to Horseshoe Bend near Dimboola, which turned into the first annual Suzuki Club Dessert Rally / Economy drive - hard on the gas, how far to the nearest fuel ? A passer by had a somewhat surprised look when told we had covered the distance starting THIS Friday not last Friday.....

After a pub meal in Dimboola - a relaxed Monday night was followed by a leisurely drive back to Melbourne on Tuesday.

Spending most of the time bringing up the rear ( more power is back on the agenda... ) I was witness to some very interesting sets of wheel tracks on some of the more "surprising" corners and substantial air was achieved by all on those #$%@ woopidoos that just happen to be in the wrong place.

So thanks to all that came and contributed - had a ball ( and didn't break down / have parts fall off etc etc.. )
Damo1984narrow

Post by Damo1984narrow »

What a great weekend.
Thanks Paul,another fantastic trip.
This trip needs it's own name and after doing the "run" through the dessert I think something like "The Annual Paul Mc Dessert Drift "would be appropriate.
cj!

Post by cj! »

What a weekend, we had it all! Rain, wind, sun.........and a sleepless night on the Friday :o Some interesting driving was seen over the few days including by myself :twisted: Only one hill was not defeated....a lot more horsepower and less weight would be required to get to the top. Dinner Saturday courtesy of Joey was great but Daryl needs to work on his gravy making skills :roll: Damien does NOT need any more power in his Sierra as that would just be asking for trouble. He had it and himself working hard all weekend to keep it on the road. If he could have organised some fuel dumps he'd still be there going flat out. The quote for the weekend came from Damien with "I've been spoiled driving a Sierra" to be closing followed by his other comment "When I put the power down" :? The Vit managed to get a little air from time to time including doing some doubles and left some rather interesting lines for others to follow :twisted: but it will be off the road for a rest while the rear main seal gets replaced :cry: All in all though a great weekend with a lot of entertainment to be had and still more tracks to be driven in the area so a return trip will be on the cards.
Phantomzook

Post by Phantomzook »

Some pics of a great trip. Thanks Paul :D
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc17 ... r%20Track/
Attachments
4.jpg