Motor for the Trolley Tug

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Gallagags
Financial Member

Motor for the Trolley Tug

Post by Gallagags »

Hi everyone,
As you may or may not have heard my 1.3 collected its last 2 dollar coin, from the final trolley that it returned whilst on the recent snow trip.
The question now is what motor and gear box do I put in it?
Current options are:
Find a full written off Vitara 1.6 efi (G16B).
Get a late model Grand Vitara with a coil pack 1.6.
2.0 litre (J20A) Vitara motor.
Get a late model coil pack 1.6 out of a Baleno and do the modifications to make it work.
A late model M series Jimny motor.
If you could give your opinions as to what motor would work best, given that I ultimately want my car to engineered, and to be an auto. Also any info on were to find one it would be much appreciated.

Regards Michael
Last edited by Gallagags on Thu 16 Aug, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Motor for the Trolley Tug

Post by gwagensteve »

Your avatar is still making me grin :D

a thought I didn't have at lunch-

A possible problem with the 'M' - (someone else might be able to clarify this) lets say you get a M 13 and a matching Jimny 4 speed auto - and don't have enough power.

so you build a M15 ignis motor.. or something... and melt the auto...

There's not really a) a ready source of auto cores like with the trimatic or AW4 or B) a bolt in option at all, except a jimny manual.

Am I right that the M pattern is unique? (not shared with the J pattern) I know it it's not the same as the G pattern. If so, then the 'M' jimny manual and auto are the only possible gearboxes that could be used without machining an adapter.

Might not be the best option.

At least with a G13BB jimny auto like Greg's he can put a sierra manual or with a vitara adapter plate an AW4 behind the BB or anything he really wanted either way- for a $150 plate.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Post by cj! »

Will the Engineer allow a J20A? It would certainly be nice to have the torque.

With the G13BB you do have plenty of options to play with down the track if need be including converting to 1.6

With respect to auto trans the AW4 would be a better choice over the Jimny auto as they can have issues dealing with the standard Jimny although adequate auxilary cooling will help out a lot.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I was rereading the trailtough site last night and I was reminded that the J20 will not fit with an engine driven fan- the bay is just too short.

The more I think about it, the more it looks like the best setup is ultimately what Mitch has - G block with coilpacks and jimmy manifold... but that's a bit of messing around to put together.

Just to confirm - 1.6 is the biggest capacity in the G motor, right?

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Post by cj! »

Yes, 1.6 unless you go custom and I don't recommend that.
Gallagags
Financial Member

Post by Gallagags »

I see, I was looking at the fowles site last night, and there is no Suzuki’s listed in there salvage auctions for Melbourne. There is one 2003 Jimny in NSW and one GV 1.6 in Townsville.
It's a shame that the engine fan wont work with the J20A, cause I was becoming keen on that motor, I assume that it would also be fairly hard to find a 2.0 litre short wheel base Vitara wreck.
Any ideas where else I should look.

Regards Michael
robsjimny
Financial Member

Post by robsjimny »

A month a go I posted a jimny auto on the yahoo site, Is a M13a and auto low k's. Think he wanted 3.5 for it. Maybe cheaper with some words. Plus you could get some dollars back for any parts not needed. Not sure if it would be harder than greg's build. Just a thought.

Rob
cj!

Post by cj! »

mugginsmoo wrote: the late Baleno's came with a 1.8L as well but it was Twin-cam (don't know what, looks similar to an "M")
That's the J18A, a derivative of the J20A.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

After some discussions yesterday, Michael was discussing going with a trimatic straight up. Lower rebuild costs, more access to performance parts and cheap core costs are factors, and so is the more favourable length for a SWB car, and the need for VERY small modifications to the tunnel compared with the AW-4.

However, gearing spread looked like it was going to be an issue, so I pumped some numbers into the Novak converter.

Crawl: 2.54 X6.4X 3.9= 63.39 (allowing maybe 1.75 for converter = 110:1 should be fine offroad :mrgreen: )

Cruise: Based on a 35.4" real tyre size and a desired cruise speed of just under 95, cruise revs come up at 3822 RPM. A bit high for sure, but actually lower than a stock sierra in 4th at the same speed, and exactly the same as Michael is spinning now to achieve the same road speed as 5th is useless because of the low torque and high rolling resistance of the Q78's. (ignoring the rpm lost in converter slip, which at low load should be almost nothing)

Another factor here is that with the trimatic, revs probably need to be a bit higher at cruise because the next step down to second is a big jump. you would only want to kick down to second when road speed had dropped a lot. with an AW4 there are a few more steps - 4th locked, 4th unlocked, and third before you get to second.

Having said that, with and EFI 16V at nearly 4K, I don't think it will have to kickdown much on the highway. The motor will be at pretty close to peak torque at cruise.
cj!

Post by cj! »

The AW4 behind a 1.6 has a Stall Torque ratio of 2.4 which is kind of cool 8-) The AW4's from behind the bigger engines are around 2.0. The gear ratios vary slightly also in the AW4 depending on the engine. I know when I have looked at the trimatic I also noticed the big step in gearing but as you said there are more options available for it although the AW4 is actually a pretty reliable unit as long as like with any auto, you keep it cool enough. The Vit with the 1.6 tends to run around the 3000rpm on the freeway. You are right about putting it in the powerband for the engine at 3800 as that's were it comes alive. Something that I have noticed with Sierra drivers and 1.6 conversions though is that they they keep thinking they have to have the same revs with a 1.6 as they did with a 1.3 which is not necessarily the case due to the increase in both torque and power. I know the trimatic that was put behind the Vit's in the US has a lockup but most of them don't work apparently. When they fail nobody tends to bothered fixing it.