Tyre Options....

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Tyre Options....

Post by mightymouse »

Ok - the Ferozas run out of tyre... the Coopers have been good for a first go - but it now has the gearing to do more.

What would people recommend for a true 31" to 33" outcome on a 15x7.5 rim ? Also can't go wider than 10.5" .....

its not a DD, so whilst I strongly prefer not to end up dead, its on road performance is not my primary concern - I am after as much off road grip as possible, without ending up with a "mud only" tyre for example.

I know tyres are a subject fraught with personal opinions and preferences, but I would really like to hear peoples recommendations.
andrew_wale

Re: Tyre Options....

Post by andrew_wale »

I would not say that I am an expert.

I have used BFG All Terrain & Mud Terrain, Good Year MTR's.

I was originally going to use Coopers, but they were expensive..
I found the MTR's were cheaper. (You do have to look around though).

The MTR's are great as a daily tire, and I have had no issues withe them off road.
http://www.goodyear.co.nz/tyres.asp?id=3#Specs

Anyway, so thats my 2 cents worth.
cj!

Post by cj! »

Ross, I assume that when you speak of not really wanting a "mud only tyre" that you are referring to such tyres as Swampers and Centipedes. If that is the case and you are looking at MT tyres then you are fairly restricted if you want to stay 10.5 wide or less and also stay on a 15" rim. BFG do a 33x10.5 if you can get hold of them and they are $$$ and the new style KM2 won't be out till later in the year in 15" or 16" sizes.

Just about all 31's measure between 30.5" and 30.9" with most being around 30.6" to 30.8". For 15" rims most 32" tyres tend be 11.5" wide and 33" tyres 12.5" wide. If you were to go to a 16" rim then you have options like the 245/75R16 (31x9.7)), 235/85R16(32x9.25) and 255/85R16(33x10).

If you do look at Centipedes then the 31" is actually a 32.2x10.5 and they also do a 32x9.5 at 33.4x10.5 and a 32x10.5 at 33.3x11.1 and Swampers and Silverstone Xtreme also have similar sizes.
cj!

Post by cj! »

Here is a list of SOME 31" MT tyres and their O.D. in inches

BFG KM 30.8
Cooper STT 30.75
Federal Couragia 30.9
General Grabber 30.5
Goodyear MTR 30.7
Hankook RT03 30.7
Kumho KL71 30.8
Maxxis MT762 30.6
Maxxis Trepador 30.6
Mickey Thompson MTZ 30.8
Silverstone MT-117 Sport 30.75
Silverstone MT-117 Xtreme 30.75
Simex Centipede MT 30.7
Simex Centipede ET 32.2
Yokohama Geolander 30.6
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

My vote - 34 10.5 swamper LTB's, or buy Greg's 34 9.5 swampers. - the narrowness will help fitment as they will tuck into the guards. There are 33" LTB sizes too, but I'd measure you clearance up with the stated dimensions of these tyres - usually, if you can go a 33 10.5 you will be able to go a 34 9.5.

Once you've had a swamper you can't ever go back.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Thanks guys - no I'm not eliminating swampers etc, in fact thats the direction i'm thinking of - although clearance issues are a concern.

A associate has Baja Claws fitted and I was impressed by how well they worked for him, although he commented that they lacked sideways stability on wet surfaces, and that set me thinking.....

I'm actually very satisfied with the Coopers - for a DD they are a VERY good compromise.

But the Feroza's not a DD and I have noticed more and more that it really doesn't do what its capable of in some circumstances. I never though I'd say this but I think its outgrown its tyres.

Hope this makes sense
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I admit they were worn when I got them, but I HATED my claws.... mostly because I came off swampers. With the fronts reversed I was happier offroad, but the noise was outrageous.

I'd look pretty hard at the 9X34 - for the money Greg was chasing for them, they're worth the experiment IMHO. Despite lots of off road work on the green car, they are still in pretty good nick.

Keeping the width under control (i.e 10" or under) makes for a happier car in most victorian conditions in my experience. You also have the track width to avoid embarrassing panel destruction like I'm suffering ATM with a narrow tyre.

Be aware that any of the more "extreme" tyres need very low tyre pressures to give their best so beadlocks become a necessity IMHO.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

I'm pretty certain that 34's are just going to be too big. The TSL Swampers seem to have a wider size choice around what I think will go on - assuming of course that they are available here.

Feroza & Beadlocks - there's two words in one sentence I've never heard before.....
billbarbas

Post by billbarbas »

Simexes with tubes, ive run em down to 6 psi with no probs, bloody awesome tire and a radial too.

Prior to simexes I used my front locker quite often, only use when I have to now.
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

The 32" pedes look interesting but why do they need a 10.5" rim ?

Similar tyres seem happy on around 8"