High Country Tour 2017 (4 to 6 March)

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Mike57
Financial Member

High Country Tour 2017 (4 to 6 March)

Post by Mike57 »

So after considering all the options I am going to make this a 3 day trip with no option to pull out after Day 2. That means everyone needs to commit to all 3 days. Making the third day optional was too restrictive.

Date: Saturday 4th to Monday 6th March inclusive

Meeting point: Licola (outside the store)

Time : 11.00 am

Rating: High end of Easy to possibly Medium depending upon what we find (that is my version of Medium not Leighs!)

Trip Requirements: The minimum requirements for this trip are all terrain tyres, an efficient cooling system and a vehicle in good mechanical condition - it will be difficult to tow anyone out of this country.. Some experience with steep ascents and descents would be desirable. Extra fuel (20 litres) should be carried plus all supplies for the three days.

Day 1
Meet at Licola by 11.00am. (Minimum 3 hour drive from Melbourne)
Refuel here before heading off
Drive into the Wonnangatta valley (about 3 to 4 hours from Licola) with a lunch stop when we get to Zeka Spur
Explore the ruins of Wonnangatta Station and the cemetery
Camp in the Wonnangatta (Drop Toilets available)

Day 2
Head North from Wonnangatta and explore new tracks
No particular plan but I will make more inquiries with the Rangers ahead of the trip
To maintain flexibility we will most likely have a bush camp on Day 2 (no toilets)

Day 3
What we do on Day 3 will depend upon how far we get on the previous day
If time permits we will head up Billy Goat Bluff and home via Briagalong.

Note that there is no fuel available until we get back to Licola or Statford so extra fuel needs to be carried.
I will take a chain saw.
All participants need to be self sufficient for 3 days.

As with all high country trips the dates are subject to change depending upon weather conditions including fire alerts. (Sometimes there are many changes and these will happen the week leading up to the trip).

Please express interest in this trip so we can see how many cars might be participating. We will need 3 to 4 cars to make this viable.

Attendees so Far:
Mike - Jimny
Wayne - Sierra
Colin - XL7
Damian - Challenger
Ian - 1990 Sierra
Rob - Vitara
Patrick - Ford Ranger
2009 Manual Jimny
Mike57
Financial Member

Re: High Country Tour 2017 (4 to 6 March)

Post by Mike57 »

A few more people have contacted me and I have added their names to the list above
2009 Manual Jimny
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

If anyone needs my mobile number PM me. I just sent it to some of you.

Hi Damian. You spoke to me at the last meeting but I don't have your mobile number. Can you send me a PM with it otherwise send an email to info@vic.suzuki4wd.com and also confirm that you are still a starter. Its the weekend after next.

Reghards

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

I doubt I will be ready, but watching and hoping
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Hi Chris

Let me know if you can make it. We have all cars confirmed now and the weather is looking good. I will give the rangers a call this week to find out about the tracks. You only need to let me know a day or so beforehand.

I think you have my mobile number.

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

I spoke to the Rangers at Heyfield and Bright today to ask about the track conditions and travel times.

A possible route for Sunday might be:
North on the Wonnangatta track as far as Selwyn Track
East on Selwyn Track and Canyon Road to the top of Mt Selwyn
South on Mt Selwyn Road and Tea Tree Range road to the top of Mt Sarah
then continue south on the Tea Tree Range Track which will end up at the bottom of station track.
There are some other loops we can include if the going is too easy

I am happy to decide on the day according to the conditions.

If we make it that far in one day then we can camp at Talbottville or Eaglevale. If we don't make it that far then we can camp at the Mt Sarah Hut.

One more point if anyone is running late on the Saturday and does not get to Licola on time we will stop for lunch at the top of Zeka Spur or at one of the huts along the way so just keep on going and look for the group. The road up to Zeka Spur is an easy run.

We will be on channel 26 UHF.
2009 Manual Jimny
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

I phoned Licola General store to make sure they had no problems with fuel supply at the moment. They have diesel but their unleaded pump is broken. They should have it fixed by Thursday so I will call them again at the end of the week and post up the latest. Either way in case it breaks down again best to fill up at Heyfield on the way up to Licola. It is only 60km away from Licola.
2009 Manual Jimny
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Not coming. Still no petrol tank, and a few other bits to do before off roading.
Will try for next trip.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Bad luck Chris. Can't go without a proper sized fuel tank!

Licola store is able to pump unleaded again, pump was fixed yesterday. No fires in the area to bother us but I will check again tomorrow night. Weather is looking good but remember to bring some warm clothes. I will do a ring around tonight to check that everyone is still on board.

Regards

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

All 7 starters are confirmed. All systems go. See you all at Licola by 11am Saturday.

Please let me know if anyone needs to pull out or has any problems on the way down. If needed you can always ring the Licola caravan park/general store and ask them to pass on a message to us so we are not waiting around unnecessarily.

Looking forward to it.

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny