Winch mounting

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

jono165
Financial Member

Winch mounting

Post by jono165 »

I want to redo my winch mounts so that I can get my winch most of the way behind the grille and run a lighter front bar.

The question I have is does it matter which was round it's mounted. Normally the motor would be on the left and the cable drawn into the bottom of the drum. Can it be mounted with the motor on the right ie turned around 180 degrees? This would mean the rope feeds onto the top of the drum but that doesn't matter as I can make a new fair lead hole.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Winch mounting

Post by gwagensteve »

Yes. (It does matter) The winch needs to be mounted feet forwards, or with the rope spooling on the side closest the feet, not on the other side. Otherwise there is too much leverage on the feet.

I've been through this and ended up mounting it feet forward as ARB do to achieve what you are aiming for.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

Fair enough. I was wanting to do something like this:

The drum on my winch is wider than that one so I wanted the motor on the right side instead of the left. With the motor on the left the drum ends up much further over to the passenger side because of the power steering box, id like to keep the drum centred if possible or is that not critical?
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

turn it upside down then
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

You'd be surprised- I spent a while thinking about that idea, but the mount gets pretty funky, as you'd imagine.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

yeah upside down would be difficult to mount, I think I'll just have to run it the correct way and the leave the whole winch offset to the passenger side, gives me room for a number plate anyway.
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Off set the lean :D
Luke
Greg

Post by Greg »

Could you replace the tubular cross member with some box or angle?

Then you could sub mount the winch behind it with the feet forward
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Definitely something I've considered, I think it still requires a narrow drum winch to fit between the LHS rail and the steering box.

Steve.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

I dont think you have to try too hard to push it back too far. theres no real advantage to getting it up under the grill. just get one of those winch mounting plates and make it fit on your chassis rail. then you can build the bar off that. Thats what ended up happening with mine and it worked out pretty good.