Is it wrong to love camo?

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Is it wrong to love camo?

Post by gwagensteve »

Ok Ok, all of you know how I am *ahem* "fond" of a bit of camo.

Anyway, I 've taken quite a shine to the new US digital pattern "ACU" and the "subdued digital" print, so I thought I'd have a little browse on line to see what was around, thinking that the poor range and patchy avialability of this stuff in Melbourne might be indicative of how hard this stuff it to get, as it's current issue and therefore not available surplus.

Well, I was wrong :shock: I've just ordered a heap of the stuff :ugeek: form a supplier in the US called Gearzone, legit ACU, made by Propper international, it even has the "near infra red" treatment that makes wearers less visible to active infra red sensors. :mrgreen:

Anyways, Going rate for Propper pants in Melb is $100 a pair. From Gear zone - USD$40. I'm paying USD$50 to ship 6 items to my door UPS.

As a more practical (and slightly less nerdy) aside, Danner boots are uber expensive here in Melb - an 8" Gore-Tex US Marine combat boot - $500. Order online from the Danner on line shop - USD$204

I'll post some photos against a white background because you'll never be a ble to spot me in the bush bwahahahahahahaha Oooooo I crack me up :ugeek: :ugeek: .... :oops:
ACU coat
ACU coat
Subdued Digital
Subdued Digital
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
muppet_man67

Re: Is it wrong to love camo?

Post by muppet_man67 »

wow that camo really works!!!!

I cant see the models head or hands

I
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

Pity this camo is designed for the Silver Burch forests found in counties other than Australia.
But it is better than no camo at all though.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

If we can get the entire world wearing camo, then nobody would know who to shoot at, thus achieving world peace, at last.
Think I'll now have to convert to camo, because its socially good and correct :ugeek:
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Don't worry I love camo too, I've been looking for the Marpat desert, but can't afford it, and don't get me started on boots.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

andrew_wale wrote:Pity this camo is designed for the Silver Burch forests found in counties other than Australia.
But it is better than no camo at all though.
I have some multicam coming in too, which will give Auscam a run for it's money here- it's much more yellow. Even australian troops wear US pattern 3 colour desert camo in overseas deployments (Afghanistan, Iraq) so it all depends on the applications. I have seen what auscam can do in an australian forest and it's amazing.

To be honest, I'm into the style and construction more than the actual camo - I just think they're the most suitable garments for what I do in the bush. I'm certainly not buyng it because it's the correct camo for Australia... it's more that it isn't that appeals.

PS Matt, I'm chasing some Danner Marine Temperates- Gore-tex liner (the hot versions don't have the gore tex). Seonaid will be in the US in January, I'll get her to pick me up a pair while she's there. :cool: My last 2 pairs of boots were dirt cheap (I think $90 and $70 respectively) so the Danners don't seem an extravagance at USD$204

PPS Matt - the marpat is cool. :mrgreen:
Attachments
26025.jpg
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

That boot looks like the current Australian Army issue. Very comfortable for hiking etc

As I was in the army reserve, I have a pair of these. I should start waring them again.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

I boutght 2 pairs of boots last Saturday, they were only Blundstones (pictured), but at $40 a pair they'll do for a while.

I want some Danners and would also like to try some Converse tactical boots.
Attachments
130347_71497-hires.jpg
130347_71497-hires.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
130292_88183.jpg
130292_88183.jpg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

$40 is a pretty unbeatable price!

The thing I like about the Danners below is the "norwegian welt" construction, where the boot is stitched around the outside to the sole. This is uncommon nowdays but in my opinion makes a massively durable boot.
More modern construction relies on glues around this area and this is the first area the boot tends to fail. I had a pair of Rossi Eagles (8" all leather norwegian welted boot) which lasted for years and years.

Danner do some lighter tactical boots and they have glued construction more like the converse tactial boots. I think they'd be light and massively comfortabe but I don't think they'd last as long.

Steve.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

I usually get about 2 years out of a pair of boots, the soles just wear through, I guess the benefit of the stitched sole is they could likely be re-soled.