outers

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

robsjimny
Financial Member

outers

Post by robsjimny »

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/vi ... sc&start=0

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/phpBB2/vi ... p?t=123077

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4WD_W0QQitemZ200 ... dZViewItem

Stimpy (jimny) Sharron ( Squik) I will talk about it here instead of doing rude on that forum. Yes that jimny was the first to go big. But too high. If some of you remember harley blue jimny. the same thinng. Running 32's with a 4 inch spring lift and a 3 inch body lift. Why. Harley's was lowered in the end by 3 inch with 31's now. Are all sydney build like this. Mitch got 32's on with less lift. Stimpy is not gold. Wow has rockhoppers 3 I but still open diffs. All bolt on parts. I think her partener work for GRP 4x4 too. This car has been for sale for a few months now. Engineered maybe in sydney. I also had a copy of the engineers report for harleys if anyone is insterested. Anyone else have any thoughts on this. Please do note sharron is a nice person not dissing her just saying the car is not great. work is needed.

Rob
cj!

Re: outers

Post by cj! »

I've been tempted to comment too but thought the better of it as I figured it may not be taken well given her passion for Stimpy. I agree that it is too tall especially when you consider what Mitch has achieved with no bodylift and only a minor suspension lift to fit the same effective tyre dia. (32") although a little narrower. The "Engineering" for 32's won't apply down here as it will need to be approved by a VASS signatory with reference to our State requirements. I think a Jimny runs 26" stock so 28" is the max although there is a case for 29" tyres. The bodylift may be an issue too as they prefer 50mm but 75mm can be approved with effort and I don't know if it was lifted using solid spacers either. If it wasn't then it won't get through. 4" of suspension may also prove to be a stumbling block down here. On top of that the total lift including body, tyres and suspension cannot exceed 150mm and Stimpy is around 75mm taller than that. Imagine trying to pass the handling test. The terrain and requirements of a vehicle seem to be different up there but for down here I would want it lowered and locked.

There are two ways to deal with the Jimny t-case gearing, what Mitch has done with a mix of TrialJimny and APIO gears in the standard case or what Serika did with swapping in an earlier Sierra case and using different gears. I don't know enough about Jimny cases or issues with the Sierra case swap to comment knowledgeably but unless there is a requirement for different ratios or the Jimny case is inherently flawed I think I would prefer to stick with as close to a stock setup as possible and just swap the gears.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Rob, I understand your point, but would you look at a mud truck from the south of the US and say "it's too tall?" or look at a rock buggy and say it's too low?- No, because it's built for a purpose.

Sydney's driving is much more technical and has much larger individual obstacles. They have also been able to legally engineer much more lift and bigger tyres than we have here.

Yes, I think its nothing special - too narrow - but that's my opinion based on what I drive here. In Sydney, maybe I'd feel differently. It is very difficult though to run a useful tyre on a jimny without cutting it right up - bear in mind Mitch runs a narrow tyre on a heavily backspaced rim - Mitch can't increase overall width or rim offset very much at all without having to do major structural cutting. If Mitches car was too low, or his tyres were too narrow, for the terrain we were driving, his car would end up looking like Serika's too.

What's pi$$ing me off about that thread is that she won't let it go. If she likes it that much she shouldn't have sold it. It's a pointless thread.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
muppet_man67

Post by muppet_man67 »

what I dont get though is why "more technical driving" requires more lift and no lockers. I tend to think that its not actually a victoria vs NSW thing. I think it is suzuki 4wd club victoria Vs the world. you get the same kind of thing in every other club in victoria and across all vehicle makes. I cant see how you more likely to roll on a muddy rutted climb vs a technical bouldery rocky section.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Sam,

They're generally always driving with higher traction, that's why lockers aren't as much of a priority. They also have more of an "old school" club scene that is a bit more anti locker- there are typically locked and unlocked classes of competition even up to quite a high level.

If you wanted to be unkind, you could say that their terrain involves posing from rock to rock.... but compared to what we do, that's a bit more the case.

they don't have to use momentum like we do to "hit" stuff.

The other side of the coin is that wouldn't build them that way if they didn't work in their terrain.

That said, Sydney has a showier car culture so odd are they'd be a bit taller and prettier than our cars anyway, but that doesn't mean they don't know how to build cars that work in their terrain.

I'm not defending Stimpy, I'm just saying that if we think we know how to build cars for Vic then we have to admit that Sydney drivers know how to build cars for their terrain.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon