Wheel Nuts and Studs ???

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

andrew_wale

Wheel Nuts and Studs ???

Post by andrew_wale »

G'day.

Just had the GV wheels alighted and rotated.. I think the wheel nut was cross threaded or due to ware and tear .. Anyway, the thread is stuffed.
Looking at the wheel stud on the standard Metal 16" rims, they are made of muck metal.

If I replace it with the standard nut/stud, it will only happen again. Does any one have any suggestions on a better quality wheel nut and stud to use ?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Wheel Nuts and Studs ???

Post by gwagensteve »

Not really Andrew. I can assure you that your studs aren't made from poor material.

The problem, as I see it, is that Tyre shops will tend to start the nut with the rattle gun so if it starts to strip they'll just run it on. I like to start mine by hand to ensure they're going on smooth before gunning them up.

I am planning to go to with these: http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categoryd ... code=25107 as they are required when my car breaks into 10 second quarter's at Calder... :lol: actually, I tend to think sierra studs are both too small and too short, but fitting them will involve a complete hub teardown, and when added to the cost of the studs, the labour of drilling and pressing the studs, new wheelnuts and depending on the studs I use, drilling the rims, it isn't really worth it to prevent the occasional stripped stud.

My axles will be built up from parts, so it's no big deal.... but if I were you, I'd just put stock stuff back. Think yourself lucky you don't have horrible alloy wheel nuts - they really are made of butter.

If you have the domed end chrome wheelnuts, you can always get some stock sierra nuts, I think they are better but really, there's probably nothing in it - but I just prefer open end wheelnuts so you can quickly see the nut is not loose.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

x 2 what Steve said - I would be very surprised if they were poor quality,

I have also noticed that dirt and a little rust can also build up in the root of the thread and up near the hub.
When I have my wheels off ( and thats been waaay to frequently of late ) I usually give the studs a wire brushing and a very small "dob" of antisieze. One of the toothbrush sized wire brushes seems perfect.

Hadn't considered the issue of a dome style nut potentially hiding a loose nut - and I can certainly see the benefit of a "through hole" style nut.

PhantomZook has some cap head mag nuts and the removal tool sheared off making things a bit awkward. Lock nuts also can cause issues if you loose the key. ( and if you saw just how easy they are to take off with the right ( or is that wrong ) tools you wouldn't bother )

A lot to be said for plain old wheel nuts
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Seonaid just failed the purity test.... she thought "through hole style nut" was very funny.... Girls :roll: they just don't get it.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Way too much material to work with... and she didn't comment about stripped studs :oops: ?