what to do with my rear bumper?

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

muppet_man67

what to do with my rear bumper?

Post by muppet_man67 »

so before I get any smart comments such as "why dont you get it runing first."etc

SSSSSTTTTTTTFFFFUUUU :mrgreen:

My rear bumper is only a knock or two away from falling off so im thinking about my options for it.
Plan is LED lights but I am undecided on whether to simply remove the bar and put the lights on the tailgate or to build some kind of steel rear bar.

whatda ya reckon? :D
muppet_man67

Re: what to do with my rear bumper?

Post by muppet_man67 »

Lights I had in mind are the same ones Steve has available at pretty much any auto parts store
cj!

Post by cj! »

So many comments possible.......so little time ;)
Attachments
Fatzooks Sierra.GIF
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Definitely get the lights in the tailgate. The ones I have surface mount which means you can set them in the corners unlike the set through style which always needed to be too far inboard to look good IMHO.

Once the lights are in the gate, building a bar is much easier - you can build whatever you like. Trying to build around the lights is too hard IMHO.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
muppet_man67

Post by muppet_man67 »

I'm thinking maybe just a single tube bent around the corner at each end could look good and protect the rear panels from damage somewhat.
and then the lights number plate etc on the back door.
also a design like this would match nicely to sliders down the track and a tube front bar. so long as its all the same diameter.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Sounds good Sam, however, I'd use elbows rather than try and bend it. Elbows allow a much tighter radius that will more closely match the radius of the tub. I can't remember if your car still has the panel between the bumper and the rear wheelarch, but it's a good time to cut that it it's still there.

Remember to brace the front edges of the bumper ( up near the back wheels) back to the chassis too- there's lots of leverage there if you drop off a ledge and it will twist the bar up into the body. This brace is also a good spot to mount mudflaps.

Joey's rear bar was nicely made as an example.

Steve
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon