Paddys Swamp - October 18

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

billbarbas

Re: Paddys Swamp - October 18

Post by billbarbas »

I'll rent to possibly buy too Lloyd. Dont be offended if I the car is broken after the test drive!!!!!

I'll take the treehugging Drover hi-top thanks.
robsjimny
Financial Member

Post by robsjimny »

billbarbas wrote:I'll rent to possibly buy too Lloyd. Dont be offended if I the car is broken after the test drive!!!!!

I'll take the treehugging Drover hi-top thanks.
What when the jeep catches on fire. Yes cases pop up of problems with the wrangler now.
billbarbas

Post by billbarbas »

That problem was caused by the driver not switching of TCS and not dropping pressures, causing the car to overheat and fluid dripping out of the dipstick catching fire.
Rob, never realised you never had probs with the Jimny.. You must be lucky.
robsjimny
Financial Member

Post by robsjimny »

Bill you missed that meeting (problems) thoe still drivable lol. Sorry off topic

Rob
nosdivad15
Financial Member

Post by nosdivad15 »

Easy lads, maybe I can squish the hi top into a sports back...?
billbarbas

Post by billbarbas »

Excellent trip Ross, every time I visit the Otways one rig always goes home on a tow truck!!! This time was the Bundy, deceided to die on the freeway on the way home. Good tracks, cant wait to go back there.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Thanks Bill - I missed that part as I stayed with folks in Geelong.... yeah was a fun trip.

List of mechanical incidents was pretty long as well, although you and I probably shouldn't be counted ( indicator not working and broken CB antenna :mrgreen: ) Bugger of a time to break the Bundy, bet you Manny's not happy :cry:

I now know the door seals work - and you can climb out through the sunroof. What pisses me off is that I drove AROUND that boghole last time but didn't remember it this time :oops: Still everyone had some fun there and there should be a couple of interesting pics for the Sierra Recovery Manual in due course.

Middle of winter could turn the trip from Medium to Hard very easily and we really only explored a tiny bit of the area.
Seems to have great potential - if you have driven Gembrook, Toolangi and Larby to death then a change is very welcome.

Still if you junk can't go for an hour on the Highway then its a bit academic.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Met at 7:30ish Westgate Shell servo - usual indefinate number of vehicles to attend

Got to 8:00 and decided this was going to be it......

Manny's Bundy ( Bin L )
Lloyds white tray ( Lloyd and Mary )
Lloyds Grey Sierra ( Callum )
Bills Sierra
100 Series Cruiser - Steve ?
Jeep - "The Mayor" ( very new and shiny..... )
Jackaroo - Shaun and Amanda
Yours Truly

Welcomed Shaun and Amanda - a VERY stock Jackaroo, which wasn't quite what I'd planned for :oops:

Leisurely trip to Moriac and beyond, aired down and ready to go by around 9:30. Started off doing some tracks I knew and had the expected fun, even if a little "track work" had to be done. Discovered how stock the Jackaroo was, managed to get hung up a few metres before the first obstacle, and on the way in, and on the way back out....... After extraction decided to park it for the day

Whilst the Jack was being recovered, pushed on to do some scouting and found my least favorite bog hole, trouble is I remembered this as I wasn't climbing out the other side and oops diff lock off :cry: So backed up, and as the mud gurgled around the tires tops I settled onto the bottom. Deciding that opening the doors and letting 250 mm of mud into the car wasn't a cool idea,- resorted to plan B , remove the sunroof and get out that way, works really well ( especially if no ones watching, I have some dignity left to protect )

So as I sat and let the first 300mm of water out of the bog hole I was accompanied by the sound of Manny getting stuck in the boghole before.... and by the engine note having far too much fun. Some time later........ and some more draining, was recovered.

Not being content to get myself stuck, proceded to guide everyone else through the hole ( Jeep chickened out.... ) and we played recover the car. Suzuki "snatch technique" was interesting - ( see pics ) but I note that Bill didn't suggest it for the 100.

Lunched at around 12:30 and then "The Mayor" had to go.... mechanical challenges began.Callum had a bead leak that needed repair, and Bin decided to start overheating. Those 12V "pressure" washers aren't bad, pity we had to search for water !

Now in unknown territiory - and found another good climb with a muddy right angled entrance, the 100 decided it didn't want to play with us and did its front diff. then Lloyds fuel pump decide that it was in the same union as the 100 and would also go on strike ( another motor and pump - same problem... perhaps vintage fuel pumps need som TLC ? ) - oh and in the spirit of the event - I broke my CB antenna off. Bill already repaired his indicator at Shell Westgate so he'd done his daily repair.

On reflection was about time to call it quits as we all had to get home, so completed the loop back to a waypoint and pulled the 100's front driveshaft and axle flanges to stop the horrible crunching noises... Back to the Jack to drop off Shaun and Amanda ( god knows what they think of 4WDing now ) and back to Geelong.

Left the convoy then to vist the folks but rumor has it the Bundy also called it quits on the way back.

Well I had a good day..... and in the middle of winter this could turn into a HARD trip if desired.

Thanks to those that came
BinL whilst the driver was still happy.
BinL whilst the driver was still happy.
and that was it for the Jackaroo ! - actually it got stuck getting to the first boghole.
and that was it for the Jackaroo ! - actually it got stuck getting to the first boghole.
It was deeper than it looked - I remembered  as the mud came up the doors.........
It was deeper than it looked - I remembered as the mud came up the doors.........
Question - what's the easiest recovery ?
Question - what's the easiest recovery ?
Answer - Manpower !
Answer - Manpower !
cj!

Post by cj! »

Sounds like you had some entertainment all around :) Maybe there's a price drop looming for Bin Laden ;)
Lloyd
Financial Member

Post by Lloyd »

Had fuel problems all the home. Had the suzuki optional fuel tank strapped to the bullbar. Thought 10 liters should last about 100ks used it up in 20ks .whats going on?about 9l
iters had gone back to the rear tank more hose to direct the return forward sucess! Next day back under took off the genuine filter and jambed inside was a verry large waspythingo Problem solved. Areal bug in :the: the system.