To much lift?

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

porter.8.luke

To much lift?

Post by porter.8.luke »

So project Blue is in full swing but i have a dilemma :? . I have Bran new lockers for my 60 series diffs worth $2000 (Thanks to Total Traction :D ) and bugger all room under my SWB wt to fit them (stock leafs) i want to get them under there and new perches have to be fabed regardless, And its wide so very wide 8-) so what is peoples opinion on SOA? I have read a lot on outers ect but we all no what that's like, I don't want to lift it but she is tight under there and this would solve a lot of problems!
Luke
dank
Site Admin

Re: To much lift?

Post by dank »

Have you currently got a body lift going in as well?

if not I'd SPOA it on something like XJ Cherokee Rear Leaves All round or IFS HIlux Rears all round. The 60mm wide leaf will give you a little bit more resistance to axle wrap, but you'll probably need a track bar of some sorts and a high steer setup as well, which you can buy off the shelf of the 60 diffs. Flat long leaf packs and better approach and departure angles will be your benefit. Just go to town with a guard chop and you'll fit massive rubber under there. i guess a SPOA yeilds around 3 inchs of lift.

I've been impressed with a few SPOA zooks I've wheeled with lately, the well setup ones perform just as well as a SPUA setup.
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

dank wrote:
I've been impressed with a few SPOA zooks I've wheeled with lately, the well setup ones perform just as well as a SPUA setup.
that is until you start "eating" rear uni's and springs. i used to have one and wouldn't do it again......ever!, also talk to Pete about the issues he's been having.
and SPOA is closer to 5 inches with sierra stuff, its just too high to be any use.

luke, you might have to go 2 inch spring (and /or body) to get the tires to clear because of your toyota width. you will still have to remove quite a bit of steel from the body as well.

and don't forget the bump-stops are there to help stop the tires from ripping off the panels.
if you have time over the xmas break, come round and have a good look at mine in daylight
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Thanks guys I'm having a good play this weekend I think I will make my mind. I'm chopping hard in to the guards regardless a little more is not a prob. As far as eating rear springs would the standard rear fat flat spring helper (chopped down in length) stop a lot of spring bind? This would make up travel a pain but if bump stopped right ect I don't see a big problem? That is for SOA and SUA?
Luke
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

I've heard of some people putting a half leaf on the top of the pack from the spring pad on the diff through the centre bolt to the front mount. This apparently works not too badly to minimise axle wrap underload.

Never tried it but thinking of doing it in the zook to try and get power to the ground a bit faster.
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Looks like it may work! I have decided to go SPUA on standard leaves, diffs + a lot more are in and its rolling all GOOD :) my only concern now is brakes but I haven't had a good look yet.

=
Luke
mika
Financial Member

Post by mika »

what size tyres you gunna run? and why the 60 series diffs if it's going to be more for touring?
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

35s to 37s have 35s at the moment. :D

And i have lockers and lots of spears for them was going to run them under my yellow Ute but don't have tome to finish it coils and all :roll:
Luke
mika
Financial Member

Post by mika »

Ah, so this is a different project (I missed the swb WT bit:D) So this is going to be a hardcore wheeler then?
sounds cool, any idea what 35-37 tyres yet? what's the planned specs for the car?
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Diesel 5speed very low 1st gear 3.438:1 6.5 gears in case 4.11 diffs and 35s at the moment no lift have just trimmed body (a lot!) very low and stable on sagey springs 8-) not a lot of flex, have lifted the standard bumps in the back and long ones in fount. We will see what happens after is running. Just have to get brakes working small suzuki master prob not good :|
Luke