Thermo Fans

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

droopypete

Re: Thermo Fans

Post by droopypete »

gwagensteve wrote:
gwagensteve wrote:I would investigate fitting a vitara viscous fan Zookstir - they are much larger.

Steve.
I'll add to this- if the vitara fan isn't enough you really need the additional thermo on a temp switch, not a manual switch. It's too easy to forget and leave it off- a critical system like cooling shouldn't rely on you looking at a gauge and turning a switch on.
I'll add to this also- if the vitara fan isn't enough, maybe you have a larger problem somewhere in the cooling system.
90% of all thermo installs I have seen have been "band aid" fixes to other problems.
Peter.
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

I don't really have a problem with the stock cooling system per se. It was just that the conditions on this trip were rather exceptional. ie. deep soft sand tracks, 40 degree afternoon temperatures and a hot north westerly wind that was sometimes a tail wind depending on heading.

Bruce.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Can't see your problem Bruce..... was nice and cool in the Jeep :D

IIRC the outside temp was 42C - so your zook had every reason to be getting hot.
I was just pleased that for once it wans't me with the heater on full blast in the Daihatsu mobile sauna.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

This is a bit "commercial" in nature ( the software is written be me.... ) but might be interesting for those
looking at running electric water pumps / multiple fans / variable speed stuff / warning lamps etc etc.

This is a VERY powerfull unit - with fantastic software ( a "slight" bias creeping in here :lol: )
Its designed for fairly "modified" setups but might solve a few problems if you need to move beyond
basic control or don't want lots of individual thermostats / controllers etc etc.

http://dtec.net.au/MicroTHERM%20-%20Pro ... roller.htm

Dan is running one of the early prototypes. ( it didn't cause his wheels to fall off either...... ).

If your interested let me know before you buy and i'll see if i can get a discount ( will try anyway.... )