Free to a good home

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

andrew_wale

Free to a good home

Post by andrew_wale »

G'day.

Just clearing the junk out of my garage and found 1999 Grand Vitara rear mud flaps.
I removed these from the car 10 years ago. The Car is now sold, so i have no use for them at all.
They are just a bit dusty and a few scratches but look O.K even includes the original plastic screws. ;)

They should fit on the 1998 to approx 2004 Grand Vitara models as the new body appeared in 2005/2006.

I will bring them to the next club meeting... So do not all rush at once.
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Re: Free to a good home

Post by mightymouse »

FIt them to the JK Andrew... my stock ones didn't last the first trip - crunch ( looks out window ) hmmm.... mudflap under tyre :lol:

Why anyone would design a 4x4 with RIGID ( and i mean HARD PLASTIC ) mudflaps is beyond me - but then again if it never gets off road i suppose its less stupid.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

mightymouse wrote:FIt them to the JK Andrew... my stock ones didn't last the first trip - crunch ( looks out window ) hmmm.... mudflap under tyre :lol:

Why anyone would design a 4x4 with RIGID ( and i mean HARD PLASTIC ) mudflaps is beyond me - but then again if it never gets off road i suppose its less stupid.
Thought of that but they look crap.
I took my Mudflaps off the first time I went off road. Have not put them back on at all.
Will put them back on when I sell it or when the police tell me to.
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

From Vic Roadworthy Requirements

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/rsc/ro ... rt%20A.htm
Wheelguards (Mudguards)

Effective wheelguards must be fitted for all wheels on all vehicles except front wheels on mopeds and motorcycles manufactured before 1 July 1988. Wheelguards may include parts of bodywork, etc. Wheelguards must cover the full width of the wheels and tyres in the case of rear wheels on trucks, buses and trailers.

Mudflaps are not normally required on passenger car type vehicles. However, mudflaps must be in place on vehicles where they form part of the wheelguard system such as on some motor bikes, heavy vehicles and vehicles with a tray type body.

Prime movers must also comply with the wheelguard requirements. However the guards over the rear wheels may be of a flexible material provided they are adequately supported.

Flexible wheelguards or mud flaps must retain their functional position when the vehicle is in motion.

For passenger cars the tyre section width at the top of the tyre must be covered when the wheels are in the straight ahead position. For motorcycles, side cars and trikes, guards must cover the tyre section width.

Relaxed wheelguard provisions apply to some special purpose vehicles such as timber jinkers.
Looks to me like you just need to make sure the mudgards are on the car and covering the tyres not the mud flaps..?
Cops might tell you to put them on or include them in a canary, but the car should roadworthy fine without them..?

I think I will pull mine off too.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

You need to dig further Neo. There are maximum permitted distances from the road to the lowest part of the bodywork, from memory it's not over 300mm. Rear mudflaps are a legal requirement. You can be canaried for not running them. Ask me how I know- I was even able to show the officer that the mudflap had come off that day as I had it in the back of the car.

The reason they are "not normally required on passenger vehicles" is that the bodywork is low enough to the ground to not need them. Have a look at lots of late model Mitsubishis- they have tiny little flaps riveted to the factory moulded mudflap to make them meet ADR's for distance to the road.

Tyre coverage and mudflaps are the first thing police look at when deciding to have a closer look at your car. IMHO, it's not worth not running them.

Steve
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

hmm curses.

I guess I will leave them on for now :/