ADVENTURE TOUR 2010

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Greg

Re: ADVENTURE TOUR 2010

Post by Greg »

i think that the warburton day is likely to be the highlight of the trip. with a bit of luck it will be a very long and technical day. i reckon the closer to stay to it the night before - the better - to ensure an early start.

accom wise - i will sort myself out for Sunday night. i'm guessing we will stay in the warburton / yarra junction area.

noel - good work on the t's mate.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Update - 2-Feb-2010

After the 31-Jan drive into Toolangi, there have been suggestions that if there isn't any rain in the days leading up to AT, then Toolangi may not be up to the required AT standards in terms of difficulty.

There are now plans for a pre-run into the Toolangi East Boundary (Narbethong side) and Narbethong forests for a look-see.

I am now considering driving up to Gembrook for a bit of bushwalking action (since i won't have the keys) to work out if getting these MVO keys is going to make Gembrook worthwhile for day 3.

At this point, Day 2 looks like the big day - Warburton.
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

I'm out for the first day.

but if we are staying at the camp ground at Yarra Junction on the Saturday night. then i'll drive up after work. if not then i'll drive up in the morning

where are we staying on the Sunday night?
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

greyghost wrote: where are we staying on the Sunday night?
i think it is yarra junction (doons reserve)...
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Yep at this stage it's looking like doon reserve caravan park, yarra junction both nights.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Can I put my hand up for shotgun, on either the Sat or Sun.

Matt
Greg

Post by Greg »

Matthew wrote:Can I put my hand up for shotgun, on either the Sat or Sun.

Matt
i will add you to the list of soft people matt ;)

Folks - please note that we are now only 1 month away. If you have not booked in with Stevie, then you are not leaving him much time to book accomodation on your behalf.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I went to Bunyip State forest on the weekend armed only with a map, a water bottle and my trusty hiking boots...

Two Scouts is no longer there :(
Rankins is not worth driving, and has a big tree that has fallen accross the only almost steep part of the track.
Cypress Hill - amazingly - is still there, but once you enter the track and get through the gully, there is a massive tree that has fallen (naturally i think) accross the track - which i would consider to be impossible to get around.

If we get end up getting approval for the keys, i'm not sure if there will be anything on the list that we will want to drive. we'll wait and see though.

What i did confirm with some other people out there in a patrol (who gave me quite strange looks when i asked from the drivers seat of my little honda) was that Little Bunyip, "Little Andersons" and Andersons are all accessable. I didn't ask if they were any good, but they are all very close together so convoy time will be minimal.

Under the powerlines, much of the tracks have been dozed and fenced off anywhere east of Andersons Rd. However, they have not dozed the little fun area west of there where we used to have a play on a very erroded piece of track (think cars on the tether rope as they cross the ruts)... so that area could still be in play.
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

There's a post on Outerlimits about Gembrook. Someone was there mid January and found Bunyip Ridge and Andersons had been graded.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/ftopic199241.php
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Now apparently Ellis and Britannia range are gated. :roll:

we're going to have to put our thinking caps on this year
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon