Grand Vitara Parts and service.

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

zzzisgood

Grand Vitara Parts and service.

Post by zzzisgood »

Hi there,

I am interested in getting myself a 09 Grand Vitara. After some research I feel it is a good car with good reputation and build quality.

But friend of mine just mention that he was told the parts might be more expensive and hard to get than a RAV4 or forrester. And the running cost is not cheap.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can give me your opinion or experience on this.
Many thanks,
Derek
andrew_wale

Re: Grand Vitara Parts and service.

Post by andrew_wale »

Derek.

What do you intend to use the car for?
When I had my GV, I was amazed how easy it was to get parts for from Suzuki.
Yes admittedly it was a 1999 model but that should not matter.

There are some other members in the club that have the 07/08 models..

Andrew Wale
Last edited by andrew_wale on Mon 28 Sep, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

In my opinion, there isn't a direct comparison between the GV and Rav 4/ Forester- the GV has a "proper" low range, which the others don't.

I don't believe that the GV will be significantly dearer to own or run than a Rav or Forester. They are all reliable, conservatively engineered japanese cars.

Parts will be no problem, not that any of these cars need anything other than service parts for some years.

However, if you wish to use the vehicle offroad, I probably wouldn't buy any of these vehicles. (I'm not biased - I own a Subaru and it's excellent) but offroad use does take it's toll on a vehicle and none of these cars are really designed for regular offroad use unless you are an uncommonly sensitive driver.

That said, owing to the low range, the GV is the car I'd pick for offroad use out of the cars you have chosen.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
zzzisgood

Post by zzzisgood »

Thanks guys for your inputs. I would use the car mostly for city drive, but also go to the bush and hills in the weekend and holidays. I'd like to enjoy off-road driving when I got time, so yes, the lower range is a good thing. So, reliability and cost-effectiveness are what I am after. Just refer to the Consumer Reports 2009 Annual Car Reliability Survey in US, Suzuki and GV does not seem to be popular in that market.

I had some test drive on the GV/RAV/Forrester, could not do any off-road driving though. Just felt that GV is not bad on the the road, although a bit bumpy on the highway.

Anyway, I still havn't made the decision yet, and wonder if there are other options. Might wait after the Christmas.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

zzzisgood wrote:
I had some test drive on the GV/RAV/Forrester, could not do any off-road driving though. Just felt that GV is not bad on the the road, although a bit bumpy on the highway.
If I had choice between the GV,RAV4 and the Forrester, I would pick the GV. This is the only true 4WD with low range gears.
The others are just like a glorified cars with some off extra clearance :roll:

At least with the GV, you can get into better camping spots etc.
cj!

Post by cj! »

If you just want to drive on dirt roads then any of them willl do but if you want any capability out of a new compact 4wd then it's either a Jimny or a GV as they have low range and as you seem to looking at a certain type of vehicle then it would seem that the GV is it. Other new vehicles of a similar size with low range would be the swb Pajero or the swb Jeep Wrangler.