WT to NT diff swap extended brake lines

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

BZOOK

WT to NT diff swap extended brake lines

Post by BZOOK »

Hi all. What is the optimum length of extended brake lines for my NT with WT diffs with stock suspension. Need to get a pair made. Thanks. If there is a better way of measuring this on the car please let me know. Many thanks.
Brenton.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: WT to NT diff swap extended brake lines

Post by gwagensteve »

Hi Brenton

This isn't completely straightforward.

WT sierras have their brake line brackets outboard of the chassis so the rubber lines are a similar length to NT. In theory then, the new lines should be 50mm longer than stock NT

However, if you're getting lines made up, It doesn't make sense to go only 50mm over stock, because you'll be throwing them away if you mess with the front suspension at all.

I'd probably go 100mm over stock if you were having lines made.

Various people have advocated second hand lines (like hyundai excel) which are cheaply available at a wrecker, and, in fact, many japanese cars/4WD's probably have lines that would work. Obviously, buyer beware if you're using second hand brake lines. At the very least, check them for abrasion, dry rot, cracks, bulging. Give them a clean and blow through with brakleen and careful visual. Also, bend them hard at the crimps at each end to check for cracking - that's where they'll tend to go.

People have also used vitara front lines but these are VERY long and have a boss crimped to them 1/2 way along for a clip to retain the line to the mcpherson strut. This boss can get pinched between the steering knuckle and the axle and it will lock the brakes on. Not ideal. The length means theres lots of line dangling around, especially on a low car.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Thanks Steve. I really wish I hadn't just cut my vit lines when I took the donor car apart. I like the idea of having something new and shiny on the old girl. I'll take the current NT lines to enzed in tulla and get some made up.
Thanks for all the details.

Brenton.
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

I have a long spring which holds my lines out of the way when not needed for flex or droop
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Brake hose limit straps!!