Weird motor swap ideas

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Weird motor swap ideas

Post by gwagensteve »

So I did 30 seconds more digging on the Mercury 3.7 litre 4 cylinder I mentioned on Saturday night.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... 85.289260/

So even the factory motor made 180HP with a 4 barrel carby. With a quality cylinder head and some trickery (on 98 octane) I'd assume a LOT more than that would be available, and everyone bangs on about the huge torque.

The bell housing bolt pattern is basically chevy, and the motors are almost worthless because they have a poor reputation.

How cool is that!

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

Swap the carb for some quad mechanical throttle body action and call it even more weirder and cool.
http://www.rotectbi.com/
suzi88

Post by suzi88 »

This topic hasnt been comented in a while but I have just been looking up the mazda k8 motor, its a 123 kg 1.8l 60 degree v6, puts out around 100 kW and 150 Nm with a rev limit of 7800rpm.

The main problem is that they all came in fwd so it would be a lot of efort.
anyone know anything else about it for sierra aplication?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

The Mazda K8 shares it's architecture with the Suzuki H20. (the V6 Vitara motor) and as that's native with an AW-4 it makes sense to start with one of them rather than the K8. Once the timing chain tensioners are dealt with they're not a bad motor and a complete running car is cheap to get the ECU, engine, trans etc.

Someone locally was developing them for motorsport years ago. (the H20)

The do sort of fit in the engine bay, and once the work is done for a H20 then you can go as far as a H27 with ~140Kw.

However, it does raise the issue of driveline reliability with that much power/torque.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon