Snow Trip - Day Trippers - Fri/Sat/Sun - 9-11 Aug 2019 - New Photos - Page 14

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Greg

Re: Snow Trip - Day Trippers - Jamieson Accom - Fri/Sat/Sun - 9-11 Aug 2019

Post by Greg »

Mike57 wrote: Thu 06 Jun, 2019 9:25 pm Greg are Max Trax of any use in the snow?
I'm sure we can find a use for them Mike. It really depends on how much room they take up in the car as to weather they are worth bringing.
Greg

Post by Greg »

glennd wrote: Thu 06 Jun, 2019 9:44 pm My details are right Mike, but I do believe I drive a Jimny.

I’m interested in that double room if it’s available Greg.
Sure thing Glenn. I'll PM you the details once we are locked in.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Team,

With two months to go - now is the time to think about you and your vehicle in terms of prepping for the snow.

I dug up this old post from Steve G - which provides heaps of great detail - it's worth a read.

We're not camping on this trip - so ignore the stuff about firewood and tents :)

And also a polite reminder to ensure your car has a Snatch Strap, 2 Rated Shackles, Fire Extinguisher and a First Aid Kid.

Please also check that you have recovery points front and rear - otherwise that Snatch Strap is really just a really long and not very comfortable neck scarf with heavy steel tassels at each end.
NOW TRIP PREPARATION NOTES

Stuff for the 4WD
Tyres with reasonable tread
A healthy battery, alternator and starter motor
Plenty of antifreeze in the radiator
A decently sized shovel, well secured
A tyre pressure gauge
A snatch strap and shackle
A can of WD40 or similar
A can of Aerostart (especially for diesels)
When we reach the snow remove vulnerable mud flaps
You can bring chains if you wish, but I will not recommend when or if they should be fitted
You may want some rubber floor mats if you have carpet
For diesels - Add anti-waxing agent or have a majority fill of alpine diesel at Mansfield
Don't leave your handbrake on when parked in the snow

Stuff for You
Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Lip balm
Gloves ie fleece/thermal gloves better than ski for dexterity
Beanie
Warm, WATERPROOF jacket
Overpants (optional) they don't have to be bling ski style ones, nylon is fine
We do not recommend jeans as outerwear. They can be worn under overpants, but I would recommend looser fitting cargo style pants, tracksuit pants or fleece pants.
Extra pairs of socks (at least four pairs)
Thermals- modern thermals will wick moisture away for the skin, to keep you dry and warmer.
More thinner layers are more effective than one thick layer. . Keep your warmest clothes dry for Saturday night/ Sunday mornings when we are less active.
FOOTWEAR: We highly recommend hiring SORELS CARIBOU snow boots. They are guaranteed waterproof and warm. They have 9mm thick wool felt lining that pulls water (sweat) away from the foot. ALL other boots used for general hiking etc will leave the foot damp due to sweat and you will have really cold toes. Once the boot is wet inside and out it A) tends to leak and B) tends to freeze solid overnight. Snowseal will not stop this. SKIMAN in Hawthorn is one source for hire SORELS, but not the only. Do not bring Gumboots or Runners with plastic bags in them. If you must bring your own boots, please make sure they are good quality high lace up boots (6-8") and ensure you have at least two pairs.

Stuff for Camping:
The smaller the tent the better. I would SERIOUSLY DISCOURAGE anyone from bringing a canvas tent, being cold, bulky and very hard to pitch in snow. Small dome tents are the best.
We are effectively mountain camping and can experience very bad weather, with high winds and snow loading. It is best to beg, borrow or hire at least a rated 3 season tent. Some cheap domes are acceptable, but most will not remain stable in high winds - unstable tent = no sleep.
DO NOT PLAN TO SLEEP IN THE CAR.
Swags are OK if you are an experienced swag camper and are confident in your setup.
The general idea is to pitch the tent on packed down snow and bank the snow up between the fly and the outside to seal in the warm air. This works a treat.
Stuff for Sleeping:
You need to insulate the cold of the snow from coming up from below. On the floor of your tent, we recommend a blanket (rubber backed, fleece, thermal or wool). On top of that place your mattress. DO NOT USE AIRBEDS. Use a ¾”foam sleeping mat or a therma rest. Foam mattresses are OK but not ideal. Place another blanket over this, and your sleeping bags on top.
I would hesitate to recommend a bag rated at warmer than -10 degrees. It is ok to add blankets to boost the warmth of a bag, or a fleece liner. Do not open up a bag to use it as a doona, you will likely get cold.
Pay special attention to this if you are sleeping alone- a single person in a tent is very much harder to keep warm.
I do not recommend taking a hot water bottle to bed- it will get cold quite quickly, without even considering the possibility of a leak.
Clothes left inside the tent overnight against the edges will get damp as there will be significant condensation on the walls of the tent in the morning.
We recommend sleeping in your thermals that you changed into at around dusk and warmed up in around the fire. Do not change into "fresh" read "cold" clothes to go sleep in. Sleep with a beanie on if your head feels at all cold.

Stuff for Eating:
Flasks for warm drinks or instant noodles etc are a nice treat during the day in the snow.
You will be exercising more than you imagine. Walking and digging etc in snow is hard work, not to mention recovering stuck cars. The air will likely be very dry and the thinner air increases your work rate. Drink lots of food and caffine free drinks. You will be quite thirsty.
It is best to not to bring preparation intensive food. If the weather is bad, you will not have the chance. Something hearty that can be reheated is ideal. Pack another days worth of food, even if just canned stuff. This will take the pressure of us if something goes awry.
NOTE: Butane aerosol type burners do not work in the snow. Even LPG can be a bit unreliable. We will have a fire, but recommend a petrol/shellite stove, metho trangia, hexamine stove or similar.
Be aware that alcohol adds to dehydration. Just because it is cold, does not mean you will be immune. Please also consider your safety and the group when drinking on Saturday night. It is easy to get disoriented and pass out or fall through the snow and out of sight. Please be a little bit more thoughtful than usual. We have a large group this year and it will be easy for someone to go unnoticed.

Other Important Stuff:
EVERYONE MUST BRING A BAG OF DRY FIREWOOD!
There are no facilities on the mountain. We have to take all rubbish home
You are welcome to bring snow toys such as X-country skis and toboggans, however let the trip leader know if you are skiing away from the group.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hey crew
I initially thought we wouldn’t be able to make this trip but the diary has allowed so I’m wondering Is there any chance we can jump on for the day trip and a room in the house if one is still available for myself and family for the Saturday night.Can bring a swag for the floor or whatever
Totally understand if it’s too late but we are pretty keen if it’s possible
Damo
South001

Post by South001 »

Damo wrote: Tue 11 Jun, 2019 6:47 pm Hey crew
I initially thought we wouldn’t be able to make this trip but the diary has allowed so I’m wondering Is there any chance we can jump on for the day trip and a room in the house if one is still available for myself and family for the Saturday night.Can bring a swag for the floor or whatever
Damo
10 cars allowed, 8 cars on trip 💪
Mike or Greg can add you on easily.
They will need your rego
Thanks
Chris.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Damo
Hi Damo,

Glenn has kindly agreed to take the room with the two single beds, which means we can get You + Helen + Gracie in the Double Room as it has a single bunk over the top.

Please confirm that you still want it.

Cheers,
Greg
Greg

Post by Greg »

South001 wrote: Tue 11 Jun, 2019 8:09 pm
Damo
10 cars allowed, 8 cars on trip 💪
Mike or Greg can add you on easily.
They will need your rego
Yep - Seconding what Chris has written - we have room for Damo plus one more car.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Team,

We are going to book a table for dinner at the Courthouse Hotel (the Pub) on the Saturday night.

I'm checking with the 3 day campers to get a head count.

I guess we had better get a head count from this group too.

Michael (Mike) D Jimny YCB 836 - 2 seats
Richard M Sierra 93227 H - ?
Beng W Prado BAA 283 - no dinner
Steven D LC WGB 011 - ?
David V LC ATP 369 - ?
Glenn D Jimny TLQ 724 - 2 seats
Chris S Wrangler 1AZ 5ER - 2 seats
Greg C Sierra 1HA 1LP - 2 seats
Damo - 3 seats
Shaun and Cohen - 2 seats

Crusty Campers - 14 seats

Thanks,
Greg
South001

Post by South001 »

Greg wrote: Wed 12 Jun, 2019 10:32 pm Hi Team,

We are going to book a table for dinner at the Courthouse Hotel (the Pub) on the Saturday night.

I'm checking with the 3 day campers to get a head count.

I guess we had better get a head count from this group too.

Thanks,
Greg
2 from me
Thanks
Chris.
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Hi Greg. Two for dinner for me.

Hi Damian. I need your rego please and I can get you added tomorrow when I am back in Melbourne.
2009 Manual Jimny