bleeding power steering

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

jonfromhamilton

bleeding power steering

Post by jonfromhamilton »

so my symptoms apparently point to having an air lock somewhere so wondered if anyone had tips for that.
from what i can get off youtube. lift front wheels off the ground and cycle the steering with the engine turned off full lock to full lock 50 times or so. then put it down, start the engine and have another go
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: bleeding power steering

Post by gwagensteve »

Yep. That’s it. Also, it’s critical that there’s no restriction at all between the reservoir and the inlet to the pump, or the pump will cavitate.

I’ve done some interesting reading about troubleshooting power steer problems and a frequent and often overlooked issue is the importance of having the best possible flow from reservoir to pump.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

that would explain why the bigger hose that i had to go back to enzed for lol$$$

im reasonably confident the line from resevoir to pump its the same barb from resevoir to pump i didnt do anything with that.

i wonder if driving for 25m or so damaged the pump but there would have been some lubrication in there im sure its fine.
will jack it up after work some time this week.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

It’s most likely fine.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon