Tranfer gears, 4.9's or 6.4's and postage options

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Matthew
Financial Member

Tranfer gears, 4.9's or 6.4's and postage options

Post by Matthew »

I was ready to buy the 6.4's, but my concern is that low reverse will be too low for my current tyres 235/75r15's, and I don't plan on going to a 32 for a few more months, should I go ahead with the 6.4's or should I get the 4.9's?

The TT website says that unless otherwise requested standard UPS Ground is used, is this as good as anything for postage, or should I request something else?

Matthew
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Tranfer gears, 4.9's or 6.4's and postage options

Post by gwagensteve »

Most guys are now sourcing their gears from Low range off road due to TT's insistence on UPS.

UPS is super fast and convenient, but it is expensive, and adds a lot to the cost of the gears.

I believe low range off road use USPS global Express -which is run by the US postal service. Well tracked and fast but the insurance isn't as quick or easy in the event of a claim.

If you're only worried about low range reverse with the 6.4's just throw it in high to back out of something like mud. I used to do this in the Merc all the time and still do it in the suzuki to get some tyre speed.

4.9's will be fine now, but you will ultimately wish you went 6.4 especially as you have 3.7 diffs.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

Thanks Steve, I will email TT and find out how much postage is, and if they are willing to send with USPS global Express or not.
If postage is too much I will probably end up getting 4.9's from Low Range as the 6.5' are a bit low in high range for what I want, although they are cheap.

Matthew
cj!

Post by cj! »

Sean is good to deal with and you can use credit card or PayPal too. The postage will be about USD$50 for the gears and it takes about a week. If there is something that you don't see on the website but you want just ask him about it as he can supply most things.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

I decided to go with the 6.5's from Low Range, they are nearly 250 cheaper than the TT 6.4's and postage is alot cheaper too, and only rev around 120rpm faster at 100k.

Matthew