Replacement headlights for the Sierra

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

cj!

Replacement headlights for the Sierra

Post by cj! »

I want to upgrade the headlights in the Sierra. I will be upgrading the wiring and using relays so that side of things will be taken care of but the lights themselves are the dilemma. Do I use a better quality reflector and upgraded H4 globes (lots of choice for both) or do I used sealed beams? The reason sealed beams are a consideration is their ability to not ingest water and mud. I have heard that 75 series Landcruiser quartz halogen sealed beams are good or are there other suggestions. Thoughts?
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Re: Replacement headlights for the Sierra

Post by mightymouse »

Drowned lights are a real PITA, if you cant seal H4's properly then the old tried and true sealed beams are a real option.

A minor side issue is that if you go bigger wattage in removable Halogen you do so at the cost of life expectancy - so your sealing can't be permanent as eventually you will need to do a bulb change.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

On my old Niva I got so tired of losing the lights every time I went thru water or mud, that I replaced them with sealed beams.

On my zook I use a h4 sealed beam, that I got from an auto store, for $25 each.

christover
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Gallagags
Financial Member

Post by Gallagags »

I have been using Hella H4 inserts for a while now. They have sealed pretty well so far, I have never lost a light. You just have to make sure the rubber seal is nice and tight around the base of the light, I have also heard of people putting Vaseline around the rubber seal as an aid.

Michael
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

cj! wrote:I have heard that 75 series Landcruiser quartz halogen sealed beams are good or are there other suggestions. Thoughts?
Yep, and replacment from toyota is $$$, from memory well over $200 each, I was looking for them and couldn't find anyone that had them, if you hear of anywhere to get them cheaper than that let me know.

Matthew
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

The cruiser sealed beams would be a wrecker sourced item, they're a favorite of Pete Blackwood. There would have to be a non genuine equivalent to the Koito made toyota ones though, surely?

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

Call me if you want some used Toyota ones Chris..
cj!

Post by cj! »

Thanks James, I'll be in touch :D