Seats for a Sierra

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

cj!

Seats for a Sierra

Post by cj! »

As I am not alone in looking for new seats to go into a Sierra I thought I would start a new thread so please post up your recommendations. I would like to hear about the good and the bad points and how easy they are to fit. Pics would be great. I am not decided on which way to go with regard to fixed back seats. On the plus side they do hold you in very well, especially on big angles but on the minus side I do find them a bit of a pain to get in and out of having tried the Sparco's in both Doof and Piggles.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Seats for a Sierra

Post by gwagensteve »

In your case Chris, the lack of any rails means fitting the seats is pretty easy, either fixed using the stock sierra ute rails, or by using normal drivers side sierra rails on both driver and passenger sides.

Also, driver and passenger seat mounts are identical, not totally different like every other sierra.

There is definitely a knack to getting into race seats in cars - for the driver, it's normally stand beside open door, right hand on A pillar, left leg into footwell, then pull/boost yourself in with your right leg and arm. Getting it right is a bit of a trial and error, but ot does work, once the seats are in the right position for you.

In a car with a shorter door opening like the STi, it's much harder.

My 2c is that I love my sparcos but I do find them a bit restrictive when trying to drive with my head out of the window. I can get a bit bruised down my right ribs after a few days of driving like an AT.

However, staying in the seat on radical angles is VERY beneficial to staying in control and relaxed.

We've looked at the PRP/Beard style of US "suspension" race seat, but 100% they will not fit in a sierra unless there are narrower versions available that we don't get ready access to.

I think Michael is still going to investigate the kirkeys a bit more - it would be nice to sit in one to rule it in/out.

I tend to think recaros etc are too bulky to use viably in a sierra, especially a ute.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Post by cj! »

I agree that the Recaro's could be too bulky. I realise that the mounting in the ute is an easier proposition which is 8-) and at least that is something in my favour.

I haven't ruled out fixed backs yet and will have another try of Mitch's next time I'm there as his is a bit further back than yours ;) Comfort in a seat is important to me as I hate getting out after a long drive with a sore butt, back , neck etc. As we mentioned the other day it would be cool to be able to hose out the interior without having to worry about the seats e.g. RCI plastic seats with covers but comfort is still a factor.

How wide can the seat be at the base and at the widest point?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

above about 18.5" or 470mm and your gonna have trouble.

I told you should have swapped the seats side to side for some leg room :D . Mine has an unmolested firewall which will tell you more than Mitches for room.

Those RCI seats are :evil:. They're hideously uncomfortable, cause compression injuries due to a lack of give, are big and lack support. I have nothing good to say about them. I think they are designed for fat americans that carry their own padding. or drag cars where your'e in them for seconds. I tried them in NAM's old buggy and I am still scarred, and I didn't even drive it. Just my 2C.

To aid in hoseoutability you could get any seat recovered in canvas.

If you're looking for a recliner, have a gander at stuff from smaller cars (like Bills excellent Astina SP seats) as at least they'll fit.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon