2nd gear on 80 series issues

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

stevend34

2nd gear on 80 series issues

Post by stevend34 »

Hello All,

After some advice on what to do with my 80 series second gear issue:

For some time now getting it into second gear in particular shifting down from 3rd is getting harder and harder.

I have tried 3 different oils, and at the moment using Castrol VMX-M , however each oil made very little difference to the issue.

The car is a 91 Toyota Land cruiser HJZ80 (1HZ Diesel motor and matching gearbox – all stock). I’m assuming it’s a selector issue, however I’ve never ventured into a gearbox to that level…..

So whilst it’s not a Toyota club, I am assuming that someone has heard of or knows something about this….. at the very least, you could point me in the right direction.
Matthew
Financial Member

Re: 2nd gear on 80 series issues

Post by Matthew »

I don't know cruisers, but aren't 80 series said to have problematic synchros?

Does rev matching or double clutching help? A guy I used to know had an 80 series that was difficult to shift down, especially when cold unless you rev matched it perfectly. He said it was was an 80 series trait.
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

yeh rev matching helps. When the cars cold it pretty much forget about second gear from 3rd.

when its warm and even when rev matching its notchy as. double clutch helps. but sometimes you really have to force it in.

i reckon your probably correct about it being a common issue, but what are your thoughts on where to from here?
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

I don't really know what the correct course of action is. I have heard some people say nulon g70 helps, but if it is worn synchros as far as I know (which isn't far) the only fix is to replace or rebuild the box.