Vapor to solid - finally - and back to Vapor

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Re: Vapor to solid - finally - and back to Vapor

Post by mightymouse »

Ok - now that's interesting, I checked the Richmond Gears site and obviously didn't look hard enough at the drawings.
Don't the "Couplers" replace the side gears ? Don't the internal splines engage the axles ?

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Yes and Yes....

But there are some very crude versions of this type of locker that use the original side gears. The "driver" engages directly on the gear. These are obviously very cheap to produce as there is no requirement to broach a spline.

Originally, all "lockright" lockers worked this way, the design that replaces the side gears with a coupler only came later.

Grimbo had an LA locker (pre-lockright) that was given to the club that used stock side gears. It was always pretty rough in its operation and bent/broke its pins, pretty common with this type of locker from what I have seen.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Thanks Steve - its an area of automotive "history" that I don't know very much about....

Sounds like MugginsMoo's unit would be an option if plan A failed and would be worth a look, but might have to be made a bit stronger if possible.

I like the manually controlled dog clutch idea ( the original concept ) even though its more work, as it replaces the windowed centre and gives me four pinions. Front Feroza diffs don't seem to have a history of breakages - but then again they don't really have a history of 4WDing either :oops:

The "over strength" engineering model appeals, just in case you hadn't detected a trend.

But its good to have a range of options if the plan A isn't possible and given the prior history.......
cj!

Post by cj! »

Ross, this may be of some interest to you. There is a guy in Greece who has made air and cable actuated lockers for vehicles such as the Sierra, Lada Niva and Kia Sportage. I don't know if he has done anything for the Feroza but you never know.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 3Ft%3D2814

http://www.protrack.gr/
mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Thanks CJ - have been communicating with him indirectly via "Ferozamaniac" on outers - but hadn't found this.

He's supposedly looking - but apparently has not started and is very slow ( even compared to me )..... and I would guess he will do a rear first - then perhaps a front even though the Salisbury style front is easier to modify.

But the pics are exactly what I'm looking at doing so they are really usefull.

Note : one of the pics shows the actuation air cylinder attached to the cover - once again exactly what I had in mind, although given my lack of success with air compressors perhaps electric would be the way to go :oops:

It not a Hatsu locker is a Tibus / Teraflex

This ones designed by Wolfgang Tibus @ Tibus Offroad, Steve was this the person you were thinking off ?
A T lockeer exploded view
A T lockeer exploded view
Figure_3_small.jpg
Figure_4_small.jpg