Falcon Alternator into Sierra Questions

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

stevend34

Falcon Alternator into Sierra Questions

Post by stevend34 »

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can share some experience with fitting Falcon alternators to a Sierra.

I have performed some reading on Auzookers etc. and it has raised some questions

1. The ‘Ghia’ Model ford falcon is better:
a. one write up mentioned it has a 110AMP alternator. True of False?
b. Any additional complexities in putting one in over the 100AMP?

2. Belt Size: Ok People are saying get the 8050, others are saying that, that is too long and get the ‘8040’
a. First question are we talking about this belt: http://m.dayco.com.au/PartInfo.aspx?P=3PK0840 ?
I gather “8050” or “8040” is Dayco’s part number, actually more a model/type. “…840mm long and is a perfect fit! (Dayco 3PK0840)…”
b. Second question what have you used and was it the correct length?

3. Not having seen the plug on the Falcon alternator yet – what is involved in wiring it into the sierra?
lbzook
Financial Member

Re: Falcon Alternator into Sierra Questions

Post by lbzook »

I believe that it's the Mitsubishi alternator that you want which is the 110 amp rather than the 100 amp Bosch.
Head down to the wreckers and have a poke around and you'll fine one.
When you get it, grab the small section of loom and fuse box out of the falcon and just run that.
Wiring up the plug is really simple, just 2 wires to solder up and that's all
lbzook
Financial Member

Post by lbzook »

As for the belt size, I put everything together and measured the length needed.
Also worth noting that the belt size that was suitable for me was different to anything I had read on AZ.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

There are both 100A and 110A Mitsubishi alternators. in my opinion, it doesn't really matter which one you score. From memory, the Fairmont Ghia had the 110A, but Fairlanes (and Falcons) have 100A.The alternators are externally identical - one has 100A on it, the other 110A. Obviously, I assume the 110A alt has a 110A fuse for the charge circuit.

The Bosch alternators are generally something like 80A and are very bulky. they were used on the V8's from memory.

When you pull the alt, get the bottom mounting bolt. The top one is nothing special, but the bottom one is long, and you'll need it.

I grab the charge wire and loom up to the fusebox mounted in the engine bay of the Ford. This provides the 100A fuse needed and a nice little distribution box so you can fuse the whole sierra loom at 60A (for example) and have outlets for other always-on accessories. make sure you scrounge a bunch of fuses from other donors to give you set of different amperages.
Cut the wires to the plug to the ford alt so you can just connect the Sierra wires to the falcon alt.

I have the stock length belt in my car due to steering shaft clearance, but I needed to notch the body of the alternator to fit it. I can't comment on the correct belt length.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

Thanks Guys, most helpful! I only realized after reading the replies that the Bosch and Mitsubishi are both out of falcons.

I sent off some emails to wreckers that where advertising on ebay – didn't hear back from one of them! I will make some calls instead and see where I get to!
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I'd head to Imlachs on Centre Road Clayton or your nearest pick-a-part and pull your own. Thankfully they are easy parts to find. Every wrecker has a heap of EL-EF falcons.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

If u go to imlachs in thr weekend txt me i may b ablento come help out and also my sierra is around the corner from there and i have the 110amp so u can see how it goes on the bracket and what type of alternator u r looking for
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

Hey! Install is 99% done!
Regarding the plug: Firstly I cut the plugs off assuming that the sierra’s doesn’t plug straight into the falcon one – right? Hope so…
The original sierra Has 1 X ‘white with red stripe’ and 1 x ‘black with white stipe’.
The falcon has 1 x ‘yellow with dotted green stripe’ and 1 x ‘grey with red stripe’.

Do you know which ones to join? What’s the impact of getting this wrong?
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

I remember one being bigger on each the alternator and the sierra wiring side... i put big to big and small to small
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

on the falcon the 'yellow with dotted green stripe' is clearly bigger. On the sierra they look much the same - the 'white with red stripe' might be ever so slightly bigger, but its hard to say as it is so close.... thoughts? Perhaps when your near your car next you could take a look for me.