Car Transport from WA?

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

stevend34

Car Transport from WA?

Post by stevend34 »

Hi Guys,
Looking at getting a Sierra from WA to start my Suzuki experience! It has a blown head gasket.
Does anyone have a cheap method of getting it over here? Current owner is happy to help out getting it somewhere at that end.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Car Transport from WA?

Post by gwagensteve »

Wow, it would need to be cheap. As in free.

Car transport from WA runs around $1500 from my experience. Sierras are all overpriced in WA due to the FIFO loading and the amount of sand they have to drive. (Likewise Brisbane) If it's undrivable, as in onto/off the truck, expect to pay more.

I guess I'm saying it would need to be a very special car to be worth the $1500 +head gasket (what's that done to the motor?) +rego+rwc on top of what's available here. I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but if it's your first suzuki it's easy to pay too much. WA Sierras have often done sand and as such rust is more common too. Perhaps we can assist on whether it's a good deal if you posted some photos/details?
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

hi mate, thanks for the reply!

The car is this one: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wellard/ ... 1065918424

just got some more photos on my phone (can;t get it to the computer), turns out the turbo manifold is home made a pretty dodgy (90 deg bends etc). The Turbo also has a small oil leak. Owner is happy to get it to a depo for transport. I have done a few online quotes and recon i could get it from deop to depo for $700. But as you say its starting to add up....
Car is stock other than the motor and a red/white colour scheme.

Have been looking for a while now and have not seen one with the motor already done for this sort of price.

was interested in this one because i currenlty have a zook (also not on the road and body is rubbish) with some good suspension mods this one has reasonable body and motor setup. The one i am looking at has has race pistons and running 10PSI boost, however i don;t think it has been planned out well due to standard head gasket installed. And when it was built it was not de-compressed. Do you know if you need to Engineers that motor here (assume you do for the turbo side)

What are your thoughts? (thanks for your help too)
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

That looks like $3400 worth of trouble now there's some more context.

Yes, it will need an engineers; not just for the turbo, (which will be almost impossible to engineer due to emissions compliance) but also the G13B motor swap. That's a mark 1 GTi motor by the look of it, so is likely to be older than 1991. That will make it practically impossible to engineer as you will need to prove it meets 1991 emissions. I expect with no other testing, an engineers report for that conversion will cost a further $1500-$2500, and the car will not be able to be registered in Victoria without it.

I honestly doubt the only engine damage will be a head gasket. 10PSI boost will require very carful tuning and cooling, from what I can see, that motor is running a single, unshrouded thermo (If what I can see in the photos is accurate) this isn't enough to cool a standard 47Kw 1.3 Sierra, let alone a car making three times that power. My guess is it's been VERY hot.

Let's assume you put all of that behind you, rebuild the motor and engineer it, allowing for brake upgrades etc as required by the engineer. (They don't seem to like over 100Kw at the crank in a Sierra) I don't really see the point. A Sierra has terrible handling, so it's going to be borderline dangerous. It's also going to have enough torque to destroy the driveline, should it ever be used offroad.

If 93RWKw is accurate, I would be very suspicious that the power band will be completely unsuited to driving off road. That's quite high specific output for a 1.3, and would indicate a high boost threshold.

Personally, I think it's going to end up a broken/expensive unfinished project. That car (if legal) would be worth $8K+ in WA - so there's an indication of how much in involved in trying to get it fixed and legal- in WA -at least $5K on top of the asking price. Add transport costs and Vic reg and it's looking like a $10K investment, with a high likelihood it can't get engineered.

I'd run away.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

Thanks Again. You have made some good points and I appreciate that. Back to the searching I go….

My Wish list:

• 1990 Red SJ70
• 4 seats
• Soft top
• Good Motor setup
• Registered and supplied with RWC :D

Does not need as I already have: front, rear bars, roll bar, Winch, Suspension, 31' tires

Let me know if you know of one for sale ;)
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

you won't need a gti conversion if it's red anyway