Manual to Auto - stalling on over run...

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Manual to Auto - stalling on over run...

Post by mightymouse »

Having just put a few k's on the Feroza I found that it would stall on rapid decell, especially when pulling up to the traffic lights etc.
Increasing the idle speed masks this but its not an ideal solution -,especially when descending.

This is caused by the EFI system having a fuel cutoff on closed throttle over run. The engine cuts back in approaching idle and with a manual the mass of the flywheel etc keeps it all turning and you dont even notice it.

However with an auto, if the engine speed drops too quickly it may not "catch" again and stall.

Pondering this problem, I visited the local self serve wrecker to look at an auto Applause and there was the solution.

A small pneumatic retard device that acts on the last couple of mm of the throttle blade closing - so controlling the final closing of the throttle. Five minute later - problem solved, the mounting bosses etc were already there.. This has no effect on normal driving and decell or idle speed ( separate idle bleed ).

So if your converting might be of interest.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Manual to Auto - stalling on over run...

Post by gwagensteve »

Thanks for the tip - might be handy for the trolley tug.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
cj!

Re: Manual to Auto - stalling on over run...

Post by cj! »

Good to hear you got it sorted so easily. :D