Rebuilding transfer case

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Matthew
Financial Member

Rebuilding transfer case

Post by Matthew »

I will be ordering some gears in about 2 weeks and was thinking that since my current transfer case is in really good condition I will try to find an old case and rebuild it, the benefit being that if anything goes wrong I will have a good spare.

Is there anything i need to order other than the Trail Tough gear set and the transfer bearing kit to rebuild an old case?

Matthew
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Rebuilding transfer case

Post by gwagensteve »

Careful you don't end up with doubleups. TT supply new needle bearings for the idler shaft and a new shaft, new seals, gaskets, shift sheet etc.

99% of transfer case noise will come from idler shaft wear which is fixed with the TT kit.

I just cleaned up all my old bearings and threw it together. The ball bearings are all pretty big and shouldn't wear unless water/grit/garbage has gone through it. I'd pull down the spare case you have and if it's clean inside and everythig feels good, I'd be happy to say just replace the parts supplied in the TT kit.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Matthew
Financial Member

Re: Rebuilding transfer case

Post by Matthew »

Cool, thanks for that. I'll get the transfer case first and check it all out.

Matthew