Weird motor swap ideas

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Re: Weird motor swap ideas

Post by mightymouse »

OK don't lock the diff, lock one output shaft...... and then drive the tcase via the other....
Have to consider direction of rotation.... ouch my head hurts..... but certainly different, and so many attractive FWD powerplants to consider.
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

What about a motor bike engine and box from a suzuki GSXR? Some of the older motors which would be in your price bracket were making over 100hp..there was one on pirate or zuwharrie that was transplanted into a sierra. Crazy revs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb2lnqli ... ature=fvwp
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Definite "no" for the bike engine. Whilst they post big numbers, they just aren't engineered for car use. I know they have been used in UTV's and clubman cars, but sitting a bike motor against the load I'll be giving it an a 100KPH cruise isn't feasible. It probably takes 15HP to push a bike though the air at 100KPH but 60HP to push my junk. That's four times the load the engine was designed to endure long term, and in a car it's not hanging out in the breeze to stay cool, and has lots of inertia in the driveline too.

That's even before you've dealt with the gearbox. Bike gearboxes are very unworkable in a car application- quite apart from not having reverse, they are not designed to work against the weight and inertia of a car, and neither is the clutch.

Too hard.

I'm actually starting to wonder how hard it would be to adapt an AW-4 to a 4AGE 20V......

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
ajsr

Post by ajsr »

not really weird
but how about a nice low boost 100 kw zook 1600 super charged toruqe monster ;)
and you probably have most of the crap to do it
dank
Site Admin

Post by dank »

check out the bell housing off my aisin warner a40 if you like in my members thread on mudrhino or outers it has some good pics.

The best way to do it would be to possibly look at the supra autos or that auto from the 3RZ...they are a W series gearbox and there are adapters off the shelf for A to W series yota boxes....
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

I like the motorbike engine idea.

This guy used an air cooled, carbed Harley clone, but there are water cooled, injected Japanese V-Twin engines.

http://www.skyhawg.com/sam1.html

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I already have a motorbike engine in my sierra.... :D

I'm not sure that that sierra with the harley type engine in it really sees much offroad work. The idea it gets hot sitting in traffic isn't comforting. Imagine how hot it would get in the bush!- and that uni coupling is scaring me. Whilst it's ingenious, it all looks a bit hack to me.

I'll reiterate. Motorbike motors aren't designed to work against anything like the load a car engine deals with regularly. A bike motor in a 4WD will be seeing large throttle openings for far longer than in a bike, whilst traveling much slower and in far more adverse conditions. (seen the air filter arrangement on a performance road bike?) Bike motors have very high specific output but that's a result of them needing very little torque and being very well cooled, amongst a heap of other issues, like a very open and free flowing exhaust that's 4 feet long, and having drivability that would be unacceptable in a car.

Put a box trailer with 1000kg on the back of a bike and run down the road at 100kph and see how long it lasts. It would be like putting a LS1 motor in a medium truck. Sure, it might have twice the HP of the diesel and only a bit less torque, but It would have a short life when exposed to the prolonged high load use a truck motor experiences.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
mightymouse
Location: Beginning to wish I didn't have to get under the Feroza.....

Post by mightymouse »

Hard to go past a A44Dx as a tranmission for a small 4WD IMO.

So there are some bolt together choices ( IIRC )........ Zook I4 or V6 , Mazda I4, PRV V6, KIA V6, Jeep I6 ( if your insane... ), Daihatsu ( may as well use zook... unless its a Detomaso and their $$$$ ).

Don't like adapter plates - just far too many poor adapter plates etc etc made, especially on autos - the "flex" plate
is asked to do just that and a few hours down the track they start breaking. Also alignment of converter on gearbox
input needs to be fairly precise.

Its far harder than it looks to do properly. A CMM and a big CNC mill - then go for it.
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

bump

There was mention of weird engine ideas last Saturday night.

Native rwd, no carbies, lots of torque and really, really weird.

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I'd own a Tesla in heartbeat and but I'm completely not a fan of electric conversions. They just seem too compromised.

It will be interesting to see how Alan Johnson goes crossing the simpson in his electric converted Sierra.

Steve.